1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can't ethically expose people to Covid so they just had to give people the real or placebo vaccine and let them live their lives.

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, if Pfizer says it...it MUST be true? :emoji_eyes:
    Ca.PNG

MeSci, chrisb, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mij

Vaccine Efficacy is usually between 40%-60%. It's inconsistent and contradictory for Pfizer to illegally leak that their Covid vaccine is 90% based off manipulated facts from a trial.

Daisymay, FMMM1, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My sentiments entirely Mij, I'm not anti-vax by any stretch of the imagination, but anyone who just takes their word for it is a bit naive iyam. It will need to be seriously scrutinised. I hope that need for scrutiny & interrogation of the rsearch will not be lost in the relief and urgent longing for a vaccine to 'save us' & save our way of life.

Daisymay, Sarah94, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wish all the mink farms in this world would just "cull" their pelts a tad early and euthanize the beasts.

Great deal of infection with SARS CoVi-2 virus in minks, and risk for mutations making the upcoming vaccines less effective.

FMMM1 likes this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I found this blog useful in explaining
    https://phastar.com/blog/250-statisticians-view-on-pfizer-covid19-vaccine-data

If I understand correctly the 43000 is the number of people enroled in the trial and they sample when 90 people get covid and then look at effectiveness. So 8 in the vaccine group will have got covid compared to 86 in the control group.

MEMarge, Michelle, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  7. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But how do they know if the two groups of people had the same exposure to the virus? Are their assumptions on this valid?

Snow Leopard, JaneL, JemPD and 9 others like this.
  8. Mij

MEMarge, Michelle, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This could mean that he expects enthusiasm for the vaccine to decline soon, for whatever reason.

MEMarge, Michelle, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  10. Sasha

They would randomise them to either the placebo or active vaccine arm and the randomisation ought to have delivered equalish exposure to the virus.

JaneL, Daisymay, JemPD and 1 other person like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They don't know. They just hope their randomisation wasn't biased in any way.

MEMarge, FMMM1, Daisymay and 5 others like this.
  12. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm wondering if someone could update me on current thinking about routes of transmission into the body, and whether it's still believed that the eyes are a possible route, or whether it's since been decided that it's really only mouth and nose? If the latter, it would be nice to be able to rub my eyes again ...

FMMM1 and Sarah94 like this.
  13. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea I guess the numbers are fairly big (23K in the control and test groups?) - so the exposure should be similar - I guess. Once they roll it out then it should be fairly clear i.e. the efficacy.

15. Wits_End

Arthritis drug 'cuts elderly Covid-19 deaths by two-thirds'

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/med...-deaths-by-two-thirds/ar-BB1b179f?ocid=ASUDHP

Hutan, Michelle and Sarah94 like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

I can't find any published results of a randomised trial of Barictinib.

The Karolinska trial is just a retrospective analysis:
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/11/13/sciadv.abe4724

There were three previous non-randomised studies discussed in this review:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7457585/

Hutan, ScottTriGuy, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  17. Wits_End

So that's now allegedly two vaccines we have which sound as though they might be viable - and the new one doesn't need to be deep-frozen, which is good. But I still don't understand how researchers can be so sure they're so effective if they don't know how many of their test subjects have actually been exposed to the virus ...

MEMarge, FMMM1, Daisymay and 3 others like this.
  18. Snow Leopard

The "deep freeze" is slightly exaggerated, mRNA vaccines don't have to be quite that cold.

But the choice between the vaccines shouldn't be based on whether one has to be deep frozen or not, it should be on the basis of the best safety vs efficacy record. By that measure, the adenovirus vector vaccines come in second place.

Also, don't put too much stock into these 90% "efficacy" claims as these claims are more marketing than evidence based - with the Astrazeneca vaccine being even more heavily promoted to governments than the others.

Mij, ScottTriGuy, Wits_End and 5 others like this.
  19. Sasha

They judge exposure by how many of the placebo people got the virus.

MEMarge and Wits_End like this.
  20. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm planning to listen to the Radio 4 programmes How to vaccinate the world [https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py6s/episodes/player]

The presenter (Tim Hartford) was interviewed on BBC2 - Newsnight last night. I think one of his replies, re how long immunity would last, was - we'll just have to wait and see.

So far the sample size is small and the claim that the Modena (?) vaccine resulted in no serious cases of Covid is based on very limited data.

Yea the Modena vaccine is stored at -20 (home freezer) and then fridge for days (5 ish?). Even the Pfizer vaccine can be stored for days (5 ish?) in a fridge.

I'm interested in @Snow Leopard comments re adenovirus-based vaccines - can they be delivered in the short/medium term?

Michelle likes this.