1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Telegraph front page: Wessely photo wth Duchess of Cambridge & BPS back pain treatment

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by JemPD, Mar 22, 2018.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh, as i checked the headlines this morning i was greeted by a large photo of Prof Sir Simon smiling with Kate.... right above an article declaring that "Gps too soft on back pain", bemoaning the painkillers & surgery given out, when really pwback pain need psychosocial treatments of therapy & exercise. Wow, quite a coup for him this morning.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...dge-teenagers-should-taught-parenting-skills/

The article related to the Duchess is about her recommending parenting training/preparation for people, & SW chaired the conference where she spoke about it.

But the back pain story is here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...k-one-million-lost-years-gps-accused-signing/
    "“Funders should pay only for high-value care - stop funding ineffective or harmful tests and treatments and, importantly, intensify research into prevention, better tests and better treatments.”
    UK figures show lower back pain accounts for 11 per cent of the entire disability burden from all disease, costing the country more than £10.7 billion a year."

I'm not too good today so i'll leave it at that I'm sure others will pick up on the hypocrisy of SW at a parenting conference. And the creep of the BPS narrative...
    back pain will be a full blown MUS before long

ETA. FAO moderators I just realised maybe this should have been 2 seperate threads? i too ill to do anything else now, sorry for any extra work

Edited again to correct broken/wrong links

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No words . . . :sick:

3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor Kate. Poisoned by the Weasel.

4. Awol

Awol Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That photo is disturbing. He's been on to the young Royals for a while hasn't he.

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MUS rollout....

6. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

The pleasure of The Times article on PACE being 'worthless' by Tom Whipple, somewhat punctured by this. (Thankfully my own GP is happy to treat my intermittent severe back pain/myalgia with actual drugs.)

7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:D lol brain fog obv meant coup :confused: will edit

8. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He'll be a Lord before we know it.

9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yuck! That picture of SW gives me the creeps.

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

His mantra is inevitably "It's who you know, not what you know". How else could he have got to where he is.

11. large donner

large donner Guest

They have the made up the treatments all they need now are the patients.

12. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

God that man’s such a creep. Can’t bare looking at any photo’s of him especially when i don’t have my sick bucket within reach

13. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor Kate nothing. She knows about the PACE trial and the issues surrounding it. The entire Royal Family and their people know and support this Knight. Don't think that the whole Royal establishment didn't just take a crap on you. They did.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Really? I doubt it. Her focus, as I understand it, in this instance is mental health, not ME.

15. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They know of the controversies. They aren't bright but they are aware of his involvement in ME/CFS. It is the cornerstone of his work. Don't let those scumbags off the hook.

16. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Never mind poor Kate - what about poor Simon? If I was to appear alongside a member of the royal family on the front page of a national newspaper, in a photograph that would be seen by hundreds of thousands of people, I'd hope it would be more flattering to me than the snap The Telegraph used this morning was to Sir Simon.

"Your Highness! Your Highness! If you could just look this way and adopt a radiant, carefree expression... that's great. And you sir - could you pull an inane grin while staring over-intently at the Duchess's stomach, as though you've never seen a pregnant woman before... oh that's perfect". Click.

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Not at all surprised about back
    yup bad back folks another bunch of malingerers

18. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're all so suspicious!

Show me one example where things turned out badly when a gregarious older person insinuated themselves into the life of a pregnant young woman by offering health advice!

[​IMG]

: )

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's from Rosemary's Baby in case anyone doesn't know. I believe the older woman is giving the younger one (Mia Farrow) a dodgy medication.

20. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and the older woman is Ruth Gordon. She won an Academy Award for this performance and was nominated for Golden Globes for this and "Harold and Maude" (1971).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018