1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Task related cerebral blood flow changes of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, 2018, Staud et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by adambeyoncelowe, Mar 24, 2018.

1. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Task related cerebral blood flow changes of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: an arterial spin labeling study
    Roland Staud,Jeff Boissoneault,Jason G. Craggs,Song Lai &Michael E. Robinson
    Received 05 Dec 2017, Accepted 13 Mar 2018, Published online: 20 Mar 2018

ABSTRACT
    Purpose: One hallmark of chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is task related worsening of fatigue. Global brain hypoperfusion, abnormal regional activation, and altered functional connectivity of brain areas associated with cognition and memory have been reported but remain controversial.

Methods: We enrolled 17 female participants fulfilling the CDC Criteria for ME/CFS and 16 matched healthy controls (HC). Using a 3T-Phillips Achieva MRI-scanner, pseudo-continuous arterial spin-labeling (pCASL), was used to study the dynamics of regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) and their relationship to mental fatigue in ME/CFS patients and HC during a demanding cognitive task, i.e. modified Paced-Auditory-Serial-Addition-Testing (PASAT).

Results: ME/CFS subjects reported more fatigue than HC at baseline (p < .01). Global brain perfusion of ME/CFS and HC subjects was similar at rest. The PASAT resulted in significantly increased fatigue in ME/CFS participants and HC. Although not different between groups, overall CBF significantly increased over the first 3 min of the PASAT and then decreased thereafter. Regional CBF (rCBF) changes were significantly different between groups during the post-task recovery period. Whereas improvement of fatigue of ME/CFS subjects was associated with decreased rCBF in both superior temporal gyri (STG), precuneus, and fusiform gyrus, it was associated with increased rCBF in the same areas in HC.

Conclusions: Our results suggest that ME/CFS is associated with normal global CBF at rest and during a strenuous task (PASAT); however rCBF of several brain regions associated with memory, goal-oriented attention, and visual function was differentially associated with recovery from fatigue in ME/CFS patients and HC.

KEYWORDS: Arterial spin labeling, regional cerebral blood flow, chronic fatigue

Link: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2018.1453919?journalCode=rftg20&

2. adambeyoncelowe

Another study finding reduced cerebral blood flow in certain areas after exertion.

What I find from personal experience is that there's an acute response to exertion where I get very dizzy and sheet white, but this resolves and then there's a different response a day or three later, which is more flu-like. So I'm wondering if these brain changes only occur during a very small window, which might account for contradictory studies?

Obviously, this is all anecdote, but I'm interested in hearing if other people think this is important too?

3. Chris

Chris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is how I see it as well, the reduced blood flow is not the whole story when you crash but only the initial state of things, and then the brain during this hypoperfusion "crisis" sends signals which trigger all kinds of responses.

Something I have read is that one of those immediate responses would be an adrenaline surge to increase blood flow to the brain, without much success it seems and afterwards our weak bodies can not withstand this adrenaline. So you start crashing, systems shut down, etc. (would that adrenaline surge also trigger an immune reaction when there is one or is the immune response independent, I have no idea)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  4. adambeyoncelowe

I can certainly hear my heart making a squelching sound in my ears afterwards, while I'm dizzy. Whether it's adrenaline or just the heart struggling to get blood where it's needed (or both), it definitely feels like a lack of blood in the brain.

Jacob Richter and Chris like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a similar 2-stage response, with stage 2 being much, much worse.
    I suspect you're right: research results will differ dependent on when measurements are taken in that sequence of responses.

Jacob Richter, MSEsperanza and Jan like this.
  6. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder what this could mean?

Have these findings been replicated?

(Don't have access to the paper.)