1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Systemic exertion intolerance disease diagnostic criteria applied on an adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome cohort - Wyller et al (2018)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Apr 11, 2018.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the fundamental problem for SEID. However this problem applies to all ME definitions. When studies are done its important to know how a PEM finding is operationalised. This is where a lot of research is probably failing. We need a reliable PEM biomarker. The 2 day CPET might work but is problematic for some patients. The nanoneedle test, still in early development, might work too, as might other blood markers. In the meantime there is no substitute for detailed in-person questioning to try to determine PEM. The big issue here is how do we distinguish PEM from exercise intolerance in all patients?

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the issues here is that the depression questionnaires probably have low specificity. They can easily pick up ME symptoms and score them toward depression, even if the patient is not depressed. Like ME there is no diagnostic biomarker for depression.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were quite a number of P values less than 0.1. And some less than 0.05.

So there were other differences between the groups, though the differences weren't considered statistically significant.

But generally it looked like the SEID group tended to be more severely affected (when they were assessed at baseline).

Sample finding
    Patients with CFS:
    School absence, %, median (IQR)
    SEID-negative (n=69) 50.0 (65)
    SEID-positive (n=45) 75.0 (65)
    baseline Difference/OR 25.0
    95% CI of difference/OR 0.00 to 37.5
    P value 0.069

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Esther12 and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  4. Dolphin

inox, Esther12 and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  5. Dolphin

Not particularly interesting perhaps, but she said these 2 things:

Kalliope, inox, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, that shows substantial bias on the part of the authors right there. Glad Crawley called them out on that one.

Dolphin and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In some ways, I feel it would have been better for us if researchers did not have to go through peer-review, but could present their own views more openly.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.