1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 12th April 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Systematic review and meta-analysis of the prevalence of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME)- Eun-Jin Lim et al Feb 2020

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS Research' started by Sly Saint, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full paper here
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12967-020-02269-0

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see one of the studies they used was Reeves et al 2007. This used the so-called empiric criteria for CFS (Reeves et al, 2005), which are really rubbish. It found a prevalence of 2.54%.

Edited to add:
    The Reeves et al 2005 criteria are an operationalisation of the Reeves et al 2003 criteria which are basically a version of the Fukuda 1994 criteria.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    MEMarge, Mithriel, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Liessa, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 12 others like this.
  4. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agh! I wish they had separated the definitions according to whether PEM is a required criterion. This would have been informative, though I'm not sure many studies have used the IOM, CCC or ICC criteria.
    Is the Holmes (CDC-1988) definition much different than Fukuda (CDC-1994)? Both list PEM as a minor symptom after all.

ETA: in a nutshell, Holmes seems to be Fukuda minus PEM but with more exclusions and many more "minor" symptoms. So in the absence of these symptoms -- even though they're not required -- I suppose that patients and clinicians alike would tend to investigate another diagnosis than CFS, thus leading to a lesser prevalence w/ Holmes?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    DokaGirl, spinoza577 and Michelle like this.
  5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are not easy targets with this illness yet as the pathophysiology is not understood.
    So the drug companies are reluctant to invest at this time.

I think whatever the true prevalence is, the illness is significant enough that there is a big drug market there.

We just need to seek to ensure that the basics are understood more which will require more public and private funding.

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most of the work identifying drugs and drug targets is not done by pharmaceutical companies, who basically wait until most of the research is already done before jumping in and figuring out how a drug can be manufactured on an industrial scale.

Michelle, MEMarge, rvallee and 5 others like this.