1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Symptoms of Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by lunarainbows, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Samuel, MeSci, Trish and 3 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All of this is just anecdote and speculation. The likelihood is still that it is similarly disease causing as the other variants.

Wits_End, Mithriel, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The other thing, is that double vaccinated people can have very mild symptoms i.e. not a classic full house of symptoms. So this new variant infecting people who have been vaccinated/had a previous infection may be producing much milder symptoms --- just anecdote and speculation.

4. Wits_End

Yes, sorry, I should have prefaced it with "Reportedly" or something.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also need to consider the possible lack of vaccine-protection against long COVID, as suggested in this non peer-reviewed pre-print article.

6. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@SNT Gatchaman. Not sure why, that paper clearly states the vaccine protects you against multiple deleterious effects and the fatal effects of covid. Vaccination reduces the risk of getting covid so that in it’s self lowers the risk of getting long covid.

Of course you can still get covid if vaccinated and there appears some dialling back on 50% reduction in long covid protection to none now.

Much as I don’t want people to have LC, it will be an ironic twist that the new variant has mutated to just attack the pathways that cause ME/CFS.

Wyva, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Wits_End

hibiscuswahine, mango, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. Wits_End

9. Wits_End

TigerLilea and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Wits_End

Thought I'd update this on an n=1 basis, since after 4 years I've finally tested positive:

No temperature, sharp headache occasionally, scratchy throat, runny nose, achey muscles (especially the sort of places where I used to get the same when I had my period, plus neck), occasional sharp, hacking cough. Spent yesterday evening (day 3) lying shivering on the sofa and starting to wonder whether this was something more than the heavy cold or possible light flu that I'd originally thought it was. "T" bar still showing up quite clearly when I did the LFT after the end of 4 days, so I guess I'm not through it yet. The muscle aches in some ways were the worst: I couldn't find any way of lying in bed which was comfortable and would let me sleep.

EDIT: Balance issues also a problem. I initially thought I might have got an ear infection, especially when I climbed a two-step set of steps and then suddenly couldn't get down again from them! Not helpful when you're trying to replace lightbulbs!

DOUBLE EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've been really dehydrated despite - I thought - drinking a lot. Mouth and lips have felt really really dry. Unsure whether this might be related to a loss of smell?

Hoping I somehow haven't passed it on to my caree ...

Also somewhat worried that the NHS symptoms page hasn't been updated for 10 months. Seems as though nobody cares these days.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really sorry to hear you've got caught as well—I hope it doesn't hang around.

As for the web page, I wonder if it's because people have such different symptoms? It seems to vary from barely noticeable to as ill as you've ever been. Some folk who've had it recently got no cough at all, just sore throat and headache, whilst others had a few respiratory symptoms but were bothered more by nausea or sickness. I wonder if there's even a pattern to it now.
    Feel better soon. :emoji_bouquet:

12. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have just had my second bout - I think with another cold virus at the same time… into week 4 or perhaps 5 now and not recovered. Better than I was but a long way off my baseline. I had no sense of taste or smell for 2-3 weeks - returning now but quite variable. Ok for a short time and then disappears again. Horrible sinusitis, completely bunged up in my head. A blood vessel burst in my eye. Ongoing gut issues - I think improving slowly but now 3 weeks of symptoms for that. Still resting a lot of the time. Joints still ache. As ill as I have ever felt for about 3 days… First time around was a complete breeze compared to this. I tested negative when I first became symptomatic - for 5 days - which makes me think I had another virus first - and then positive for 10 days…

MEMarge, MeSci, Kitty and 13 others like this.
  13. Wits_End

Now you mention it, I'm not sure that I have a sense of smell at the moment either. Trouble is, we don't have much smelly stuff in the house, so it's a bit difficult to be sure!

Edit: Have edited my previous post further.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    MEMarge, MeSci, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't very unwell either time, but I did get this. It's 10 days since the second infection began and I tested negative and stopped having symptoms five days ago, but my smell and taste are still blunted the way they are after some head colds.

That's probably just the effects of the virus on the mucous membranes, but perhaps the complete loss that some folk experience might be more to do with the nerves being affected?

shak8, MEMarge, Trish and 2 others like this.