1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom descriptions in psychopathology: How well are they working for us? (2020) Wilshire et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Carolyn Wilshire, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Before CFS was invented, fatigue was not terribly prominent when people talked about their illness. It was done in the same way MS people talk about, a troublesome side issue but not the main problem which was the abnormal response to exercise.

Then it was CFS and everyone was talking about fatigue as the important thing. Now, either the symptoms changed or being told that what you felt was fatigue made you consider it from that angle where I had never thought what I experienced as fatigue. Despite being very limited after decades of illness I still feel able to do anything until I try it the biggest difference from the early days is how soon I am forced to stop.

2. Carolyn Wilshire

Carolyn Wilshire Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl:

3. Carolyn Wilshire

Hmmm. If I had any skill at all in narrative analysis, I'd take a wide and diverse sample of people with all kinds of choric illnesses - including ones formally diagnosed as psychiatric - and ask them to describe their experience in depth. Then sort it all into themes irrespective of diagnosis.

I know, that's by no means perfect. But maybe it would be a start? If nothing else, it could demonstrate to others what people on this forum already kind of know...

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Grigor and 4 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

true; I remember telling my GP (and others) about these 'weird' symptoms I had started to experience.
    Fatigue or being tired was not one of them.
    Not being able to stand up, or walk or lift a carton of milk for no apparent reason, yes, but 'fatigue'(?)

MEMarge, JohnM, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

don't know if you read this paper from Crawley
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/can-l...jones-loades-crawley-et-al-dec-15-2019.12856/

MEMarge and Carolyn Wilshire like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Mithriel and Sly Saint like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Carolyn Wilshire likes this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps not so relevant. The literature review states "The diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis was not included where the fatigue is the primary symptom and is necessarily severe and debilitating to reach diagnostic criteria.8".

Carolyn Wilshire likes this.
  9. Carolyn Wilshire

Great find, @Michiel Tack, Thank you!
    Yes, I see its mainly post-stroke fatigue and cancer-related fatigue, but there are some fibromyalgia people some autoimmune people and someone with HIV. Some of the variables they tried to look at are interesting - time course (experience intensity, trajectory - constant or intermittent - and predictability). The researchers claimed they had found a lot of differences between cancer-related fatigue and post-stroke fatigue, but the data they present doesn't persuade me on that point.

One limitation was that they seem to have organised the entire study around a single key word ("fatigue"), so a huge contributor is what people think the word means and whether it applies to them. It would be good to go broader, look at different terms that people use to describe sensations when unprompted.

Taking a look at the Crawley study now.

10. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this blog post written by someone with both depression (pre-ME/CFS) and ME/CFS was interesting. After explaining how any exertion affects her ME/CFS, she then explains when she does and doesn't find exercise helpful regarding her depression:

So for her, exercise is helpful before and after a depressive episode, but not during. (Although the active ingredient could be the exposure to nature rather than exercise, but let's say it's the exercise.) I think we have to be careful not to assume that exercise is globally helpful for depression - we might be just as critical of the evidence base there if we got to look at it closely, or the true picture may be more nuanced, as it is for Una.

Snowdrop likes this.