1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Swollen area on upper thigh

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by dangermouse, Jun 23, 2019.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had the MSK CATS appointment.

I saw a lovely (I think physio) @PhysiosforME @Jonathan Edwards

She took a thorough history of all diagnosis from ME onwards.

At this point I’ll point out @PhysiosforME that she was of the opinion that ME and Fibromyalgia are the exact same thing.

From history, symptoms and assessment she said it strongly suggests inflammatory disease and that I may need testing again and also maybe an MRI. She is referring to Rheumatology.

If they diagnose something then she’ll leave me with them but if not she’ll see me again with a view to physiotherapy, though she knows it’ll be difficult with my limitations.

I’m to book through NHS Choices. She wants me to stay with same Trust but aside from one consultant (who diagnosed seronegative spondyloarthritis and put me on DMARDs - Sulfasalazine, and also Prednisalone and Naproxen which really helped, but two years later another consultant removed the diagnosis and stopped medication) who has left the Trust, the other consultants where not great - one was very rude and two others disinterested.

So, I’m thinking maybe it’d be better seeing a new team - but how do I know which ones are good?

If I don’t get anywhere with NHS Rheumatologist I’m going to have to consider a private one as I can’t go on with pain in my hips like this.

The lady I saw today didn’t think I had bursitis @Jonathan Edwards she said it was presenting more like inflammatory symptoms.

So, that’s where I’m up to.

ladycatlover likes this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you describe exactly where this swelling is? A swelling on an upper thigh is a bit strange to me.

3. dangermouse

@Jonathan Edwards

It’s like fluid accumulation, it’s on right thigh. Upper thigh. Just sitting below joint of hip. It’s worse when pain flared.

On other leg the swelling is mid thigh, fluid accumulation. It’s really weird.

The pain bothers me more than the swelling but I’m confused as to why it’s there?

The physio who saw me said I had a lot going on and I’m interesting. She has no idea what the swelling is caused by, but was far more interested in my morning stiffness, hip pain flares etc.

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. dangermouse

An update.

I saw a different doctor for a second opinion on the large swollen area on upper outer thigh. He said he’d never seen anything like it. He said it’s definitely not bursitis (as the other doctor thought it was) and that it needed urgent referral for US scan. He thanked me for returning and not leaving it.

I have to thank you guys on here and @Jonathan Edwards as people thought I should seek another opinion.

I’ll let you know what it is when I find out.

Hutan, Milo, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hope the tests go ok and they can find a way to help you @dangermouse

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm m only catching up on this thread now, but dentists can do home visits. We have made it to the dentist ( and paid price afterwards) but know that they do visit s for those who cant get to surgery. We have a large elderly rural population and poor public transport. I don't know if the service they can perform is limited.
    NB my aunt had a tooth removed at home recently so most things can be done.

dangermouse, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so glad you have persevered and hope that things improve for you soon.

Hutan, dangermouse, Skycloud and 2 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How mysterious, and worrying for you. I hope the scan can be arranged quickly and you get some answers and treatment soon. :hug:

Hutan, dangermouse, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  9. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to offer you good wishes and re-iterate others' hopes for help for you soon @dangermouse. :hug:

Hutan, dangermouse, Annamaria and 2 others like this.
  10. dangermouse

Thanks to everyone for your good luck wishes - I'm waiting on the appointment. I'll keep you updated and let you know what it is - when I find out. :hug:

Hutan, TigerLilea, Milo and 5 others like this.
  11. dangermouse

Had the scan. The sonographer seemed thorough. She said I should have results (that go to doctor) within 2 weeks.

I asked if she had seen anything, she said she can only see subcutaneous, that’s as deep as ultrasound scan goes but she hadn’t seen anything of concern.

The swelling is getting bigger on my right thigh?

On a different note (as it’s not thought that the swelling is to do with this) does anyone else here experience significant pain on outer hips (trochanter, top of thigh bone) when walking, or standing, rising from seat, going up steps?

If I sit it begins to ache, if I move too much it is horribly painful and I can only lie on my back in bed. I’m very stiff in lower lumbar, hips and outer hip area for a long time in morning.

I’m referred to Rheumatology by a senior physio who said I need thorough investigation.

Hutan, TigerLilea, Annamaria and 4 others like this.
  12. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry you are having so much pain @dangermouse. Hope that the Rheumatology referral can give you some answers that can also give you some relief. A shame you have to wait 2 weeks for results of your scan. I hope that you aren't worrying too much. Sending you The Vibes and lots of hugs. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

13. dangermouse

Thanks @ladycatlover

Yeah, it’s so weird. No one seems to know what’s causing the swelling??

The pain - yeah, it’s horrible. So glad I have the appointment, a long wait though.

:hug::hug::hug:

14. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:hug:
    Hope the two weeks don't pass too slowly.

15. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm rather late in coming to this thread, but I've just had a thought...

Could you have a very deep haematoma (or hematoma : US spelling)? Bruises are superficial hematomas. I think if a hematoma develops very deeply buried in tissue then it might not be obviously discoloured from the outside,

I developed one on my forearm after a minor accident last year. (I fell onto the sharp edge of an item of furniture.) I didn't know what it was so I went to A&E in case I'd broken it (I hadn't). I was told that it would probably take anywhere from 2 months to a year to disappear. In the end it was 95% gone after about three months. It stopped hurting after the first couple of months. The only remaining evidence of a problem after the first three months was what felt like a thickening of tissue (I assumed it was either muscle or fat that had become scarred in some way) deep under my skin. That took several more months to go.

I wondered if it was possible for infection or inflammation to set in with a very deeply buried hematoma, and whether this might explain your swelling?

ladycatlover and dangermouse like this.
  16. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm very stiff in the morning and recently found out that I am starting to get arthritis in my hips. I find now that doing things like digging in the garden really bothers my lower back and sets off the arthritis pain.

Two weeks seems like a long time for a doctor to get test results. I had an ultrasound on Friday morning and my doctor's office was phoning me four hours later about the results.

ladycatlover and dangermouse like this.
  17. dangermouse

Thanks @ringding me too.

@Arnie Pye this is something that I have wondered too, as I have banged both legs on corners - one (the large sausage shaped swelling) very hard. It's what I'm hoping it is to be honest, though I'm wondering why it's still getting bigger and also it's been there likely over six months, I can't remember exactly how long it's been there.

I thought it a long wait too @TigerLilea in the past I've had results much quicker than that, this was a contracted company that the NHS has used, called Mediscan - not sure if that's why? Hip pain is horrible isn't it, it's my worst thing currently.

18. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A very very long time ago (before I fell ill) I had an encapsulated blood shedding. It stayed for decades but in the end it disappeared.

After a while it did not hurt anymore. It just was present as a bump.

19. dangermouse

That’s interesting @Iansbergen wow, it stayed a long time.

Binkie4, Annamaria and ladycatlover like this.
  20. dangermouse

I was called in for the scan results. As the US scan was inconclusive the GP has referred me for an MRI as the swollen areas are of concern and things need ruling out. So, that should be soon.

TigerLilea, Skycloud, Nellie and 4 others like this.