1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Swollen area on upper thigh

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by dangermouse, Jun 23, 2019.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always have pain in my hip joints to varying degrees.

Currently I’m having a flare up of pain all over my body, including deep aching joints, tenderness and skin sensitivity that feels sore when anything touches it.

I bump into things regularly, sometimes when I’m dizzy, other times when I’m fatigued with little energy.

My upper thigh, just below my hip joint, has a swelling of around two or maybe three inches across and one inch deep. It feels like fluid. It’s sore if pressed, though not bruised or red?

I was wondering if it was bursitis? But it’s on a place that’s bumped when I walk into the corner of a unit.

Anyone else had this happen?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like something to ask your doctor about, @dangermouse.

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much pain. :hug:

3. dangermouse

I’ll watch and see if it clears, for a couple of weeks. Not the energy to get to see GP yet.

Thanks.

Starlight, Yessica, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

I do understand the dilemma. I can't get to the GP easily either. I find in situations like this a GP telephone consultation can be very helpful to figure out with the doctor whether it's something urgent I need to see the doctor about or whether it can wait.

Binkie4, dangermouse and Starlight like this.
  5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you walk ok? I concur with @Trish, always best to ask your doctor. You may try icing the area to see if it helps.

Let us know what the dr says.

6. dangermouse

Morning @Trish & @Milo

I’ve had to make an appointment for tomorrow, I’m dreading going as I feel so unwell and the pain is horrible, but the swelling has increased.

I’ll let you know.

That’s a good idea Trish, if I can’t make it (being taken by my parents) I’ll at least be able to ask for a telephone consultation.

Thanks.

Hutan, Milo, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  7. Trish

Best wishes with getting through that @dangermouse. I'm sorry it's got worse. I hope the doctor has helpful answers.
    :hug::hug::hug:

Binkie4, dangermouse and Wonko like this.
  8. dangermouse

Thanks @Trish :hug:

I don’t know if I’ll be able to get there, I feel dreadful at the moment.

Got bad nausea and breathless - may be a nurofen I took?

I’m so exhausted, I just want to be left alone.

The thought of a waiting room ... good grief.

Edited to update: I’ve had to cancel appointment. I feel dreadful. I’m having a telephone consultation tomorrow, thanks for suggesting that.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    merylg, Hutan, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  9. Trish

If you feel desperate for advice before tomorrow you could phone 111 (the NHS helpline). I've found them quite helpful on whether a situation is urgent or not and what to do.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so awful.

Lisa108, ladycatlover, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  10. dangermouse

Wonko, NelliePledge and Trish like this.
  11. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I had an acute problem I phoned the out of hours line after 7pm. It sounded serious so the out of hours doctor telephoned me and within an hour called at my house. Might this help?

Lisa108, ladycatlover, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  12. dangermouse

Thanks for that, yes that would be helpful.

13. Trish

The other thing that occurred to me that has probably occurred to you too is to prepare for the phone consultation with notes of not only the thigh problem but any changes you've noticed in your other symptoms. And maybe do any basic checks you can like pulse rate and temperature.

14. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dangermouse

I know how difficult it can be to leave the house for a medical appointment when feeling ill. That has happened to me twice recently ( in last 9 months). I did speak to the doctor by phone and the rapid response nurse came out within an hour. One symptom was a rash so she photographed it with her iPad to show the doctor. Perhaps you could photograph it on a phone and send it to GP. Just a thought.

Most importantly, hope you feel a lot better soon.

Lisa108, ladycatlover, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  15. dangermouse

Thanks @Binkie4

That’s a good idea too - thanks.

Binkie4 likes this.
  16. dangermouse

My lovely lady GP just rang me.

She thinks it sounds like bursitis but needs to see it.

She asked if I could possibly attend surgery, I can’t at the moment as my ME is bad and I’m not well enough. I told her the waiting room noise etc would not be great for me.

She’s arranging a visit for today or tomorrow. I’ll let you know.

She wanted to arrange pain relief but I can’t tolerate it.

She arrived! That was quick!

It is bursitis. As I cannot take pain killers she will refer for an injection but if I’m not up to attending I won’t be able to get it done.

merylg, Simbindi, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  17. Trish

At least you now know what it is. I'm glad you insisted on a home visit. Quite right and justified. Thank goodness for a good doctor.

Did she mention pain killers that can be applied as patches or creams - or can't you use those either?

How horrible for you to be in so much pain with no relief. It leaves you reduced to the old fashioned things like applying something cool or warm, depending which helps most - which are probably just placebo/distraction.

I hope you'll be well enough to get the injection. It's so horrible that we are denied treatment when we are too ill to access it and are the most in need. So unfair.

Sending lots of hugs.

Simbindi, Hutan, Lisa108 and 8 others like this.
  18. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Samuel, Simbindi and dangermouse like this.
  19. dangermouse

Yes, that’s the main thing. It was the Dr who insisted on the home visit - I thought I’d heard wrong at first. She was quick too.

She’s prescribed more Difflam cream - an anti inflammatory cream that I can use and it helps.

I know. Ice helps but I’m limited as to what I can use regarding pain killers.

Yeah, I hope I’m well enough too. This is a big problem area for ME patients isn’t it. We need to access care but can’t get to it. I hope NICE guidance group is understanding this issue. I can’t get to have a smear test either, as I’m just not up to it.

20. dangermouse

Trish likes this.