1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Swiss Re: Expert Forum on secondary COVID-19 impacts, Feb 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reseaarchers into FND are not playing the game and actually referring to the "disease" as a new name for conversion disorder, which is a form of hysteria, in their published papers.

The older BPWS people know to imply things rather than spell it out so you can disown it when people complain.

3. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guardian opinion piece by George Monbiot:

Apparently just by talking about it, I’m super-spreading long Covid

"Rejoice! A mystery has been solved. We now have an explanation for long Covid, a condition afflicting many thousands of people. A super-spreader has been identified. Important as this finding is, I’m reluctant to call for the vector to be eradicated. Why? Because it’s me.

In a presentation to the reinsurance giant Swiss Re, Michael Sharpe, a professor of psychological medicine at the University of Oxford and founder of a long Covid clinic, proposed that one of the causes of the syndrome was “social factors”. The social factor at the top of his list was an article I wrote for the Guardian, describing the suffering of patients with the condition."

Article: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...spreading-long-covid-professor-press-coverage

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

EzzieD, Frankie, tmrw and 7 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    alktipping and Andy like this.
  7. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The thing that stood out for me most in the presentation was this (in the summary, at the end):

Missense, Amw66, Sean and 11 others like this.