1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweden: Open hearing on ME/CFS in the Riksdag 27 May 2021

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by mango, May 10, 2021.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied post from News from Scandinavia

There will be an open hearing on ME/CFS and infection triggered fatigue syndrome in the Swedish Riksdag on 27 May, hosted by the Social Affairs Committee. It will be available to watch online.

The Riksdag is the highest decision-making assembly in Sweden, it's "the parliament".

https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/webb-tv...agning-om-sjukdomen-mecfs-och_H8C220210527ou1

I'd be interested in knowing how they chose the speakers...

Björn Eklund is the (former?) ME patient who wrote a book about his recovery from ME, apparently thanks to Rituximab (Kolibri, Norway) and other off-label treatments such as antivirals (Red Clinic/Ameliekliniken, Jonas Axelsson).

Kerstin Heiling from RME is an obvious choice, of course. I hope she will be honest about the problems pwME in Sweden are facing, and not try to gloss things over to make things sound "hopeful, optimistic and positive". I hope she will keep a very firm biomedical focus during this talk, not focus on how important she believes psychosocial support etc is (she's a retired psychologist, does not have ME herself). I hope she will include the severely ill and the very severely ill in all aspects of her talk.

Jonas Axelsson. Hmm... Head of a private ME + long covid clinic. As you already know, he recently had to pause/cancel? one of his research studies because he hadn't gotten ethical approval before starting to collect samples etc. He's known for generously offering lots of different off-label treatments and medications to pwME and pwLC, as well as recommending brain retraining programs (which has made Gupta, DNRS rewire etc popular in some subgroups of the patient communities, which in my opinion is hugely problematic on so many levels). Axelsson claims that the treatments he offers are completely individual, based on each person's illness history, symptoms, tests etc. However, judging by what people share on social media, it seems to me like they are all getting pretty much the same stuff... For what it's worth, I believe he genuinely means well.

Björn Bragée. Hmm... What will his talk be about?

Per Julin and Anders Rosén. No worries there, I'm looking forward to listening to their talks :)

Anna-Lena Hogerud from Region Skåne. I don't know anyhing about her, but as you perhaps remember from our discussions about Region Skåne's new clinical guidelines for ME/CFS, the BPS view has been very strong in Skåne historically. What will her talk be about?

This hearing could go either way,... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed hoping for the best. :nailbiting:

(Edited to add the link, sorry!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2021
    sebaaa, Snow Leopard, Joh and 2 others like this.
  2. mango

I just wanted to add, in case it wasn't obvious already, that none of the invited speakers have ME.

To me, that's a huge problem :grumpy:

(Sure, Björn Eklund used to have ME, but he identifies as recovered now. He doesn't represent us pwME as a group: he's a very very rare and privileged exception, who got massively lucky.)

sebaaa, Anders_Vang, Joh and 10 others like this.
  3. mango

Björn Bragée:

Andy likes this.
  4. mango

There are some interesting comments in this thread. For example:
    :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  5. mango

Someone contacted the responsible "MPs" (riksdagsledamöterna) to ask some questions about the event, and forwarded the reply to me.

Accessibility: Will the recording of the event be subtitled? Will you publish a transcript?

One of the MPs replied that the hearing "will be recorded by stenographers and published later". I'm not sure if that means a transcript or a summary? I'm guessing this means the recording will not be subtitled?

Why was no one with ME invited? ("ME sufferers, as you know, is an incredibly marginalised, stigmatised and misunderstood patient group, not only historically but also today. It is therefore particularly important to enable, at every opportunity, the active participation and involvement of ME sufferers. I would very much like to see you make room for our own voices as well, not exclusively invite people who talk about us.")

The question about why no pwME was invited was ignored.

(Edited to fix spelling mistakes... sorry.)

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    sebaaa, Lily Valley, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

If I had received this response I would send a follow up email about involvement of people with ME @mango One of the downsides of raising a few different points in the same letter is the likelihood of low integrity people trying to avoid responding to difficult questions. I would follow up with the single point so it cannot be dodged.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  7. mango

That's great advice, thank you :) Do you have any suggestions for phrasing, or how to (re)frame the question? I'd be happy to pass it along :)

8. NelliePledge

I would simply say

Thanks very much for your answers to my questions however I would also appreciate your response to this important point i raised which wasn’t covered in your email, [quote the point exactly the same words] ‘why was no one with ME invited etc...’

regards

avoid temptation to raise anything else. If there are other points to raise wait until they respond to this one so there is literally only one issue they have to cover in the reply.

sebaaa, Lily Valley, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  9. mango

10. mango

Thank you so much, sounds great! :hug:

11. NelliePledge

It might be worthwhile sending them links to Evelien when she went to the European Parliament and to Emma speaking to the Scottish Parliament petitions committee

sebaaa, Lily Valley, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  12. mango

A link to Evelien's talk was included in the original email :) Adding a link to Emma's too is a great idea, thank you!

13. NelliePledge

That makes it doubly bad they dodged that point, they know they have messed up just trying to get away with it. Unacceptable!

14. mango

Here's another reply that someone shared with me, written by an administrator of the Social Affairs Committee.

The questions asked were: Why haven't you invited any speakers with ME? Regarding previous hearings on other diseases, did you invite speakers with the disease in question? If you did, why do differently with ME? If you didn't, why not? Does the Riksdag have a policy for involvement and participation in these kinds of meetings, and if so where can I read it?
    Like wringing water from a stone..? :grumpy:

Lily Valley, Trish, Wyva and 3 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

That’s a non answer

Lily Valley, Wyva, Andy and 2 others like this.
  16. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know which members of the Riksdag are attending?

Lily Valley likes this.
  17. mango

No, we don't. There are two members mentioned on the schedule, the chairperson and the vice-chairperson of the Social Affairs Committee. It doesn't say, but I'm guessing they will be giving some kind of opening and closing remarks?

Lily Valley, InfiniteRubix and Andy like this.
  18. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are they being contacted by good orgs?

Thus is entirely relevant for them: @Caroline Struthers @Hilda Bastian https://www.s4me.info/threads/compl...nce-underwriting-etc-vs-me.20482/#post-344774

19. mango

"Hi,

The members of the committee have been informed about your letter.

Regards,"

20. NelliePledge

@mango i would go back with

‘Thank you for passing it on to the committee, when can I expect a response to the point raised?’

ETA they are making it seem like being open but at every point giving a minimal response. In this case the reply implies that they hope the fact that the point has been highlighted to the committee will be sufficient to close it off. They are not engaging in dialogue. if the people involved in the correspondence are able to meet face to face or by video consider raising the pressure by asking for a meeting.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Amw66, Lily Valley and mango like this.