1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest a name for Chris Ponting's ME GWAS project!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Jul 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope. GAME is already in use by "Global advocates for myalgic encephalomyelitis" - Guido den Broeder's group.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think we need a name that has instant recognition and meaning rather than sounding 'clever' and 'friendly'. We've had too much of that from the psychs with their MAGENTA, PACE, FINE, SMILE etc.

I would prefer it's just called something straightforward like the UK ME genome study. Which I suppose can be shortened to UMEGS. This has the advantage of being pronouncable but not having an irrelevant other meaning.

3. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what is the status of this project? wouldnt it be good to check epigenetics also?

4. Trish

Simon M, MEMarge and Andy like this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Maybe just MEGS (ME genome study) would work? It doesn't have to be fully explanatory I suppose.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Or just MEG, so we could then talk sensibly about the MEG study to avoid duplicating the study bit (MEGS study - ME genome study study)? It's brevity is good, and a headline/call to action could be made out of "Help MEG" or something similar, but would potential participants think that is trivialising it? I'm not sure one way or the other.

7. Trish

I was trying to avoid us ending up with something with a different meaning, in this case a female name.

Woolie, Sarah94, Sly Saint and 2 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEgnome
    upload_2020-5-18_17-45-2.jpeg

merylg, Joh, lunarainbows and 10 others like this.
  9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

A MEG study to me means magnetoencephalography (abbreviated MEG). Would this be a problem?

Simon M, Sarah94, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think any name needs to be informative about the study, otherwise it will struggle to recruit.

Andy likes this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ultimately, yeah, but for the reason that Sasha gives above more than the abbreviation. For the typical layperson we would need a name that at least hints at what the study is about.

Simon M, Sarah94 and Barry like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Something snappy that suggests the notion of finding the needle in a haystack.

merylg likes this.
  13. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

This is such a great one, so funny and informative. It sounds like genome, but only for ME.

MEnome without the 'g' would also work, and would avoid uncertainty about pronunciation, but would not be so cute.

merylg likes this.