1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spain plans to ban alternative medicine in health centres

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article in Guardian:

full article here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/14/spain-plans-ban-alternative-medicine-health-centres

TiredSam, rvallee, inox and 7 others like this.
  2. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like a good idea in general. If someone really wants to go for stuff like this I don't see why they couldn't do so in private practice. I would have liked it if the focus was less on the inherent dangers of those therapies - which seem to be pretty low - and it was worded more clearly that they should not displace proper care.

There is always the caveat with 'no scientific proof being available' not necessarily meaning something doesn't work while the impossibility to prove a negative is always looming over everything. We really need a word or sentence for 'we really tried to figure out how it works and couldn't, but we also looked at what it does and it really didn't do anything noticable except waste time' which would be true for homeopathy as well as CBT for the most part as far as I know to discern those situations from 'we couldn't figure out how it works because we probably lack the technology and/or ideas, but there seems to be something here that we might figure out one day'.

The comment about someone stopping cancer treatment due to a naturopath telling lies about the effectiveness of vitamins to my mind isn't so much on alternative therapies in general, though. The argument here should be about describing things that have effectively been proven to be mostly useless in a given situation, which is a point that could be raised on many current mainstream psychiatric approaches as well as possibly several medications (but I cannot really comment on those discussions due to a lack of expertise, I just remember that it is apparently reasonably questionable how statins and antidepressants are currently prescribed in some populations; having been personally harmed by the latter I may be biased while not understanding the full scope of the problem though).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    rvallee, Sly Saint, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, sadly. Many antidepressants, and I forget the studies now, don't work on most patients with depression, or don't work well, and come with side effects. The effect is mostly on a minority of patients where they work very, very well, and this raises the average effect size up. This is not all antidepressants, and I forget exactly which ones.

TiredSam, rvallee, Aroa and 4 others like this.