1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Solve ME/CFS Initiative: Discovery Forum 2017: Presentation of Dr. Ian Lipkin, Columbia University

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDOgklnoPvo

AliceLily, Daisymay, Nellie and 8 others like this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ron, Invisible Woman, Dolphin and 7 others like this.
  3. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wait, I could have sworn he had a heavy European accent I could barely understand. Is this someone else giving the presentation for Lipkin? Is this John Snow who you also have listed?

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, as a European I can confirm that Lipkin sounds American to me.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  5. Melanie

I don't know who the heck was speaking in the past that I could not understand. I thought Lipkin had a heavy German or Czech accent. I almost didn't listen to this because I figured I would not be able to understand him.

6. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone tell me the highlights? I ain't got the energy to watch the full clip, but pretty excited about the work they do.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Just watched. A few highlights I recall:

He talked about his own experiences over the last 3 decades with patients with ME/CFS and other conditions, including the work on demonstrating XMRV was not the cause of ME, and the good that came from that in the group built to work on it continuing to collaborate on future ME research.

Other highlights for me - the difficulty of getting papers published when they are debunking a theory.

The history of difficulty getting the NIH to fund ME research, for example his experience of applying 3 times for a particular project. The first time he was rejected because 'CFS is psychological', the second because 'CFS patients all have EBV', the third he got funding.

And bringing up to date - pleased with the funding of the 3 centres, but lots of good projects 'left on the table' that should also have got funding.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    ahimsa, Alvin, inox and 9 others like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for your notes Trish.

That sounds interesting. Especially when some people still try to present XMRV/CFS as some sort of MMR/Autism parallel.

Sean likes this.
  9. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Charming. I would like to apologize on behalf of all Germans/Europeans that our English is not as good as that of native English speakers and that when we try to speak your language because you don't speak our language it's a nuisance for you to listen to us. Lipkin is one of the most famous ME researchers and American, so you are safe.

10. Melanie

Taking offense is so easy. I am well aware many nations around the world cannot understand Americans when we speak their language and whoever this particular speaker was I could not understand him. So what. Being from the Philly area, we say it like it is.

What I know about Lipkin, famous ME researcher or not is he is facing trial by Mady Hornig for sexual harassment, demeaning her and making her look bad in front of colleagues, and Autism funds being misappropriated into ME research. He also tried to keep her name off of research and held up some ME research unnecessarily.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  11. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He also mentioned that the Hutchinson Foundation has some new findings. Sounds like there should be some sort of publication soon.

Andy, Trish and Solstice like this.
  12. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that was a very good talk. He seems like a competent scientist, and the comments he made towards the end about attitudes towards earmarking funding in institutions and governments were interesting.

Andy and Trish like this.