1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping in hot weather

Discussion in 'Sleep Disturbance' started by Sarah94, Aug 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have an Ad blocker and all I see is white space after the text on post #15. No indication that something is there.

If I switch to another browser I can see an image from Amazon on the left that is clickable.

Kitty, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does IRD stand for? Invisible... something... Dog?

3. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, all that displays for me is a white space. But I do have the Opera Ad blocker on. Thanks wigglethemouse - I had not considered the Ad blocker. I've tried viewing in MS Edge browser and MS Edge does display the ad.

wigglethemouse, Trish and Kitty like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's the Invisible Rescue Dog.

5. Invisible Woman

I don't know if this makes it any easier @Dx Revision Watch - I've popped the links in to the text. Each link take should take you to the relevant page on the amazon website.

Here is the link to an example of the cooling dog bed

and

Here is the link for an example of the cooling scarf

Kitty, Wonko and Trish like this.
  6. Dx Revision Watch

Thanks, Invisible woman, Ad Blocker is OK with these links.

Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. Dx Revision Watch

So the dog mats cool by absorbing heat from the body - these are not the freezer type?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  8. Invisible Woman

No, these don't go in the freezer. They have a gel that's activated by the pressure of the dog's weight.

They're not freezing cold, more cooling. If you shift your weight slightly now and then it reactivates the gel.

I've not tried the freezer ones but I imagine they get a bit damp as they warm up. The gel mat didn't seem to sweat or get any dampness.

As a precaution I would check for any weight limitations stated by the manufacturer - just in case the seams aren't strong enough to cope with the pressure in the gel. Especially, if a person is going to try it.

For the doggies, if you suspect your dog might chew it then I would be wary of leaving them unsupervised.

I would put a large towel under it just in case of any leaks, especially if putting it on an expensive carpet or mattress.

I got mine from costco rather than amazon. It is quite heavy and seems well constructed.

Kitty and Dx Revision Watch like this.
  9. Dx Revision Watch

We don't have any of the type you put in the freezer, but my son with ME (who is very heat sensitive and far more comfortable during the autumn and winter), sometimes uses a couple of the large ice blocks you put in freezer boxes, wrapped in a thin tea towel for his feet, at night.

Last night was dreadfully hot here in the UK. Our bedrooms were 80F/26.6C when we went to bed, despite keeping windows closed and curtains drawn on the sunny side of the house for much of the day. The temperature indoors did drop a few degrees overnight, but none of us slept much.

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone tried not counting scary things.

Like sheep, or sharks, or shellfish.

It is vitally important not to count them, simply be aware of them, and where they are, in as little detail as possible.

This is both cognitively exhausting, eventually your brain goes and does something else, and reassuring, as the reason for picking scary things is it's unlikely anyone would deliberately have any in their bedroom.

This may evoke a calming 'I'm all right Jack' response simultaneously with a 'sucks to be you world with all the damn sheep/sharks/shellfish out there', which when coupled with the cognitive exhaustion/boredom, should sent virtually anyone off to sleep, within a year or two.

11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would never do that. I tried counting sheep in my teens and developed an obsessive problem with counting that lasted a few months. Luckily the problem went away on its own, but it can still develop occasionally out of the blue. When it happens I get worried that it won't go away, but so far it always has.

Sarah94 likes this.