1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep Education in Primary School Prevents Future School Refusal Behavior, 2019, Miike et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ped.13976
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1111/ped.13976

2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was going to say oh dear, but then I remembered that during my A-Levels*, there were a couple of times when I missed school due to being exhausted from staying up late working on my coursework or on my university applications. I don't think that "sleep education" would have prevented that though.

*I did not have ME at this time

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  3. Sarah94

4. Sarah94

Hmm. "School refusal, or school avoidance, is a term used to describe the signs of anxiety a school-aged child has and his or her refusal to go to school." (I got this definition from the Internet.) Surely that is different to somebody having difficulty awakening due to a sleep disorder?!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is simply not a scientific study design. Foremost, it is not controlled.

The conclusions are implausible to anybody who has ever been a teenager.

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I think you've summed up this study very well @Sarah94. edit and James ML.

The authors might have a valid point; i.e. that poor sleep habits account for a significant proportion of the young people who fail to get to secondary school. But this small study and the way the data is presented isn't enough to prove that, and certainly isn't enough to prove that some sleep education fixes the problem.

The authors seem to mix wild speculation into their arguments. For instance they observe that the program in one primary school where sleep education was given to children and their families in all grades was more successful than the program in two other primary schools where only the older children and their families were targeted. They then conclude that
    They also seem to be suggesting that all problems that might be causing school refusal stem from lack of sleep, and that chronic fatigue syndrome = chronic sleep deprivation.
    And they write approvingly of some pretty intrusive suggestions for approaches to solving this problem of deranged sleep:

Yes, quite clearly it's the fault of the volley-ball playing mothers, because it seems the fathers can't be expected to get the children to bed when the mothers are out.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes, I well remember telling my fetuses to go to sleep! :rolleyes: :wtf:

8. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

Their definition of CFS isn't even close to any the definitions we use:
    It's the same misuse of the term CFS when applied to mice that are forced to swim to exhaustion.

This study is about sleep disruption leading to poor school attendance leading to "school refusal behavior" that is given the inappropriate term CFS.

9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)