1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Germany

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by TiredSam, Aug 28, 2019.

1. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That's great news, and only €100 for 50 minutes on the phone and a cure. Or only €16 for an email. Unfortunately I won't be able to reclaim it from my health insurance company, because they don't recognise alternative practitioners, and she doesn't seem to have any other qualification. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEzP-ybCY7s

"Now you are probably thinking that I am crazy and that I am a very bad and shameless rascal".

Worth watching just for the comedy moments. Maybe I'll get in touch and offer her some English lessons.

sebaaa, Kitty, Snow Leopard and 11 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Listening to the video, she seems sincere and to have suffered a horrible health situation. But that doesn't excuse setting herself up as an authority not only on M.E. but also depression (which she can cure in 6 months) and other health conditions, and peddling deluded health quackery at a price. Why not start a blog and share her anecdotal knowledge for free instead of putting on a white lab coat, hanging a stethoscope round her neck and posing as a medical expert on youtube? It does seem a bit rascally to me.

Kitty, MEMarge, sebaaa and 10 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

"Give me lots of money and I'll cure you. If you don't get better, you didn't try hard enough."
    Quack quack quack...

rachel76, MEMarge, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  4. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personal: Thank god you can speed up to 2x on youtube vids so you can get triggered by her saying 'CFS syndrome' without investing more than 10 minutes. RIP in peace my poor nerves.

Cliffs: Claims to have found the cause of ME/CFS and developed a 'healing method' for it (and every single other mental health problem she apparently knows) but not a single reference to what either is supposed to be apart from it being 'natural', offers a 30+ page pamphlet for the price of a full book, reads her notes with the speed of a reasonably well recovered post-apoplectic person so possibly isn't actually recovered, asks for endorsement if you have managed to convince yourself you did not get scammed out of your time and money. Positive highlight is the excellent book 'ME vs CFS' by Katharina Voss on her shelf. Or the aforementioned stehoscope, can't decide.

Predictions: Will probably play the victim as soon as challenged despite not offering the slightest insight on whatever it is she may be talking about/selling and deflect via straw man type arguments.

Recommendation: Use opportunity for personal growth and try not to be annoyed. Gonna work on that now for myself.

MEMarge, sebaaa, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  5. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Priceless. Feel sorry for her, but more than anything I had a good laugh.

Her own words:

Puzzle piece by puzzle piece, got groundbreaking insight, and then managed a complete cure. Healing will start within days, it will take maximum 6 moths to heal yourself completely. She says it is not expensive, neither requires a visit to the doctor.

Sounds familiar? Close to something you heard before, that origin out of a trademarked method from England?

Seems like the german version of LP?

6. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This book and the author are quite popular in the German ME/CFS community. The problem is that it is a mix of good with questionable content. The author shares Judy M.'s views on ME/CFS. (She does not share Judy M.'s views on Corona, I am quite sure.)

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    MEMarge, Leila, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  7. lycaena

She seems to be a relatively unimportant tiny quack. :emoji_duck:

MEMarge, Leila and Invisible Woman like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Philipp

I've actually gotten around to really reading the first bits instead of using it to look up references and I must admit I do feel compelled to correct myself. When the book first came out I skimmed the entire thing and read some parts I was particularly interested in but there was no way I was gonna make it through 500 pages of rather dense material - the content seemed good when read this way.
    I guess I have learned more about ME/CFS since then and hopefully gotten better at discriminating things and I am having trouble finding more than a couple pages where there is nothing I would, at the very least, phrase differently. It is almost impossible to tell apart the good from the questionable bits without background knowledge. It is most certainly a well-intentioned and referenced book, but in my opinion there is a large amount of attack surface.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean 'discriminating' (being able to better judge) things?

Invisible Woman, Kitty and Philipp like this.
  11. Philipp

Probably? English is hard nowadays... I meant to say something along the lines of 'taking it apart on an intellectual level'. Sorry if what I write is weird occasionally, it is like not all the words I once knew are always available and I lose sight of what I've written half a sentence ago due to memory issues so what I write may be occasionally weird.

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Happening to me too. ME and getting old is not a good mix. :confused: :ill:

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds familiar ... I think many to most with ME might struggle with this. You are not alone. I struggle with this too.
    PS What @Sean said.

14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! Very surprising that the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research mentioned ME/CFS on Twitter and Facebook. Possibly for the first time ever (on social media or anywhere else). And that they used the hashtag #MECFS.

But the call for research proposals itself does not refer to ME/CFS. It's for underresearched diseases in general. So applications for many diseases can be submitted. It's not funding designated to ME/CFS and the funding might not go into ME research.

But it's progress that the existence of ME and the need for more research is acknowledged at all! :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  16. lycaena

There is an other project the German Federal Ministry for Research and Education wants to follow.
    could become problematic with the current situation of the Cochrane GET review :unsure: :cautious:

@Hilda Bastian

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not which "already existing funding opportunities" those are but OK:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1315937505603186689

https://twitter.com/user/status/1315928441338957833

18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

20. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1339542250683047937

Automatic translation:

Hutan, MEMarge, Anna H and 15 others like this.