1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Simon Wessely Didn't Want His e-Mail On A Blog - Here It Is on Hole Ousia

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Melanie, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi Peter, (@Hole Ousia), welcome to the forum. I hope you will stay with us and become part of our community. I was going to ask what a Sunshine act is, but decided to google it first and found this article you had published by the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/healthc...scotlands-nhs-sunshine-act-pharma-transparent

I wholeheartedly support your argument that industry funding of anything medical must be transparent. For psychiatric treatments, this clearly refers largely to funding by pharmaceutical companies that distorts treatment practice in favour of drugs and plays down the side effects.

For ME the problem of industry influence is different but just as damaging, with the health insurance industry employing some of the key proponents of the so called biopsychosocial model of ME/CFS (actually a psychosomatic model) who carried out the deeply flawed trials like PACE to gain support for their recommended directive CBT and GET treatments. Like many drugs for psychiatric conditions, exercise therapy in ME/CFS has serious and long lasting damaging side effects which the PACE researchers deny. They are employed by health insurance industry to help them deny insurance payments to ME sufferers based on this false model and failed therapies.

Apologies if you are already aware of all this - you mentioned that you are aware that the PACE trial is flawed, I wasn't sure how much you were aware of the big business interests behind its continued promotion.

Joel, andypants, alktipping and 22 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I actually asked to try Sertraline (Lustral) because of a recovery story in AfMEs mag 'Interaction'.
    However, although starting at an incredibly low doseage (cut up the tablets supplied) I could not tolerate it at anywhere near a normal dose so gave up after a few months. Lucky escape maybe.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I prefer to be kind. In this case I was simply being honest. :)

4. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A good friend who has ME was almost killed by the mal prescribing of psyche meds because the attending doctors assumed her severe ME crash was psychosomatic and that presumption was down entirely to Wessely's paradigm that ME is an aberrant illness belief.

And my husband had a severe ME crash from overdoing things which knocked his brain off (he has a lot of ME cognitive problems) and was prescribed benzos as he couldn't sleep. He was only on them for 3 days but they had a devastating effect, severe anxiety and agitation ( something he'd NEVER EVER had before or since). It took months to resolve all these symptoms, helped with seroxat on low dose for a few months. He's never had any mental health problems, ever, only when taking these drugs. It seemed to really knock his brain for six.

It is deeply shocking to read of Wessely and co blaming reactions to drugs as being MUS but I bet the drug companies are pleased, just like the health insurance companies and ME. How very convenient.

Medical abuse masquerading as science.

alktipping, inox, Jan and 22 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So...MAMaS? If they can come up with silly word things.......

alktipping, MEMarge and Woolie like this.
  6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great succinct sound byte.

alktipping, inox, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

As in Bohemian Rhapsody " Mama(s), just killed a man......"

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

yes I think we should start referring to CBT providers as "the CBT industry" it is equivalent to pharma.

alktipping, inox, mango and 14 others like this.
  9. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was this based on Dr David Smith's daft proposal that an SSRI (usually Prozac but also often Lustral) combined with amitriptyline (or another tricyclic) could 'cure' his patients?

It seems popular with some BPS clinics, still. However, if patients didn't pace, this miracle cure would often stop working (by his own admission) and then they were forever doomed.

It seems to me the patients were likely just quietly buzzing off their nut (as the saying goes) and ignoring the underlying problem, until they inevitably pushed too far. I wonder how much follow-up he did and how many relapsed badly later on?

10. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Controlling the narrative is Wessely's raison d'être.

MEMarge, alktipping, Barry and 4 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Can't remember what it was based on (this was about 15 years ago); I vaguely remember it being the story of a mother and daughter. I'd have to try and find the relevant edition; although I'm not sure if I still have it as my GP had another patient that he wanted to show it to/try it on..........another example of the danger of AfMEs uncritical reporting of such 'cures'.

MEMarge, alktipping, mango and 3 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And modus operandi.

MEMarge, alktipping, Barry and 5 others like this.
  13. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. I think it's actually dangerous to publish unproven 'cures' of any kind, and a charity should seriously rethink such a strategy if it still goes on. Especially as their readers may be desperate to try anything.

MEMarge, alktipping, inox and 5 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Just had a mini trip down 'memory lane' with my pile of InterActions and the edition I was talking about is missing; but did spot that Dr Sarah Myhill used to reply to some of the dear doctor pages, and there was an interesting article on Charles Shepherd.

As for weird and wonderful treatments/cures, the magazines are full of them, plus a lot of still largely unanswered questions (from members) re AfMEs stance on CBT and psychological treatments/research in general.

15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I joined AFME when it started but Interaction had a different "cure" in every edition. When one said with confidence that the alignment of your bed was of paramount importance I left.

16. Sean

I shouldn't sleep with my head to the rising sun? Too much early morning brain heating?

:whistle:

alktipping, Inara and Trish like this.
  17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I keep my bed horizontal.

MEMarge, alktipping, ArtStu and 11 others like this.
  18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Relative to what fixed point? (e.g. Australia, a lorry delivering cheese in Mexico, the third sunspot from the top left etc.:rofl:)

andypants, alktipping, Barry and 5 others like this.
  19. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

None of those things are fixed points, especially not the lorry. Relative to how I'm standing before I get into it.

20. Sean

he he

MEMarge and alktipping like this.