1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Short fatigue questionnaire: Screening for severe fatigue, 2020, Knoop et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399920307911

Legend and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As usual they are talking about tired people. Or maybe very tired people.

They say this for example:

Uh, NO. Clueless as usual. Who is it they are claiming to describe here. Or are they just gas-lighting for fun and profit.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are certainly not describing ME "fatigue".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4295717/

alktipping, MEMarge, Snowdrop and 4 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's amazing how much they tell when they insist on what the concept is NOT, where they literally describe what it actually is. The only common feature they agree on is rejection of reality. Like the recent CBT for CFS document that asserts that sick children and teens with CFS don't want to get back to their old self, which is literally the only thing they want. Hell, it's even the thing they all say. It's like they have a need to contradict everything we say, that their entire thing is basically being against whatever we need.

Right up there with someone asserting that the main reason people go to a restaurant isn't food. What kind of madness is this? This is all basically bizarro world science, where everything is backwards, even the thinking.

Forbin, Mithriel, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did the researchers actually listen to what these patients were describing? Could they not work out that these patients were fed up of being gas-lighted and were responding to the inadequacies of the questionnaire?

6. rvallee

Never. Not even once. Ideology is a mind-killer.

Joan Crawford, MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  7. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Despite Participant A stating explicitly (in the true manner of a lawyer) that she didn't suffer from fatigue they still lept referring to her illness as a fatigue/energy problem, rather than an illness that makes her feel physically sick!

Joan Crawford, Amw66, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I first got ill in the early 80's, I don't think I ever used the word "fatigue." To me the word "fatigue" implies prior exertion. I felt like crap just sitting in one place all day.

I always told doctors that I felt like I had the flu (sans fever, or upper respiratory symptoms). I doubt I ever used the words "fatigue" or "malaise." I would have just said "I feel sick."

When I first heard the term "chronic fatigue syndrome" I really doubted that it applied to me. Then I discovered the range of symptoms that that innocuous term obscured.

9. rvallee

It's as if what they hear when we talk is like when the adults talk in Peanuts. It's just noise to them. The substance of what we say never gets past the ear filter that turns everything into annoying waa-waa.

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's curious that they claim the scale is "valid" without ever testing it for face and content validity by patients. Likewise, construct validity cannot be assumed without utilising objective measures of functioning.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Joan Crawford, Amw66, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given how little is actually known about fatigue it's weird how much time they keep exploring fatigue levels via questionnaires. Of course this is because they can't do actual science so the grade school stuff of inane questions seems to be accepted enough to keep them employed.

It would be much much more useful for someone to tackle the hard issues of what is fatigue, is it all one same thing, what are it's qualities, what is the biology?

Nobody much seems to care. I can only suppose that they think the psych's have it covered as it's their area. And yet they can't even develop useful questionnaires as tools so why are they still getting money? There is far too much psych research. And universities just keep churning out more.

alktipping, rvallee, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  12. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

because idiots give funding based on the number of papers published and not on the quality .the system has always been broken .

13. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spot on