1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Severe flu... rising death toll in California

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Forbin, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This flu seems more widespread than usual, and more virulent (in California at least).

In an ideal world, there would be some kind of surveillance to see how many of the affected go on to develop ME/CFS. This seems like just the kind of event that would produce a lot of new cases.

You could then see how the number of new ME.CFS cases compares to the number of cases that usually occur - assuming someone (like the CDC) monitors that).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

3. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this same thing last year when a lot of people got sick from contaminated water supply in one part of the country. How many would not recover properly and go on to get ME in the future.

4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I guess one 'advantage' of ME is that it keeps you away from people and less likely to be exposed to disease. :ill:

Louie41, MEMarge, erin and 6 others like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True - and it may, in fact, be that ME/CFS makes some patients more resistant to the flu (while making others more vulnerable).

I was just reading a 1978 paper by Dr. Gordon Parish that summarized some of the earlier (pre-Royal Free, 1955) ME outbreaks. One of the early conjectures about ME was that it somehow provided protection from acquiring polio during outbreaks of that disease. I think this may have been hypothesized because ME seemed to appear in tandem with some earlier polio outbreaks that failed to "catch fire" and become major epidemics (Los Angeles / Iceland).

Early outbreaks of 'epidemic neuromyasthenia'
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2425322/pdf/postmedj00263-0008.pdf