Serotonin reduction in post-acute sequelae of viral infection, 2023, Wong, Cherry et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by EndME, Oct 16, 2023.

Tags:
  1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Serotonin reduction in post-acute sequelae of viral infection

Highlights
    • Long COVID is associated with reduced circulating serotonin levels
    • Serotonin depletion is driven by viral RNA-induced type I interferons (IFNs)
    • IFNs reduce serotonin through diminished tryptophan uptake and hypercoagulability
    • Peripheral serotonin deficiency impairs cognition via reduced vagal signaling
    Summary
    Post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC, “Long COVID”) pose a significant global health challenge. The pathophysiology is unknown, and no effective treatments have been found to date. Several hypotheses have been formulated to explain the etiology of PASC, including viral persistence, chronic inflammation, hypercoagulability, and autonomic dysfunction.

Here, we propose a mechanism that links all four hypotheses in a single pathway and provides actionable insights for therapeutic interventions. We find that PASC are associated with serotonin reduction. Viral infection and type I interferon-driven inflammation reduce serotonin through three mechanisms: diminished intestinal absorption of the serotonin precursor tryptophan; platelet hyperactivation and thrombocytopenia, which impacts serotonin storage; and enhanced MAO-mediated serotonin turnover. Peripheral serotonin reduction, in turn, impedes the activity of the vagus nerve and thereby impairs hippocampal responses and memory.

These findings provide a possible explanation for neurocognitive symptoms associated with viral persistence in Long COVID, which may extend to other post-viral syndromes.

Graphical abstract
    [​IMG]

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(23)01034-6#

2. EndME

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

My first question is - are the levels of serotonin really different in LC? It would be a bit surprising, as, if it were that simple, you would think we would know that already. So, my set point is skepticism.

This is Figure 1J of serotonin levels, sorry it came out blurry. The columns are moderate Covid, severe Covid, recovered, PASC. The y axis markers are 0, 1000, 2000, 3000.

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 7.41.31 am.png

That does look quite impressive. The unit is (nM), presumably nano Mol/litre.

Therefore, that chart is interesting. The recovered people do seem to have slightly high serotonin versus normal ranges but the data points are in the ball park. And the people with Covid and with PASC do, on average, have low levels, with many having levels below the normal range.

I wonder if there was anything different about the sampling procedure, length of time before analysis...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  4. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting findings. They'll be testing SSRIs as well, but I'm not aware they've been of much use in ME. This paper says the following.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0149291819300712

forestglip, Michelle, CRG and 5 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 8.11.28 am.png

From the supplementary charts.
    Figure S2B is the age of the cohorts. Recovered is in grey, and is, on average, a lot younger than the acute Covid and PASC cohorts.
    Figure S2C is the sex mix of the cohorts. PASC is on the right, there appears to be a much higher percentage of females in the PASC cohort.

Edit - For Fig S2C, there is no legend and the caption does not say which colour is female. I assumed that pink was female and maroon was male, partly because I thought it was more likely that they would have more females in the PASC cohort. I have since seen another chart in the paper with sex data for the larger cohort (Fig S1B) where males are shown in pink and are in the majority. So, I don't know what the sex mix was for the smaller number of PASC that underwent a metabolomic analysis.

I have found suggestions that serotonin decreases with age, is lower in females, and is lower in people with low physical activity, people who are not exposed to natural light and people with chronic pain. These could all help to explain a difference between the reported serotonin levels in the recovered and PASC cohorts, although the clustering of the results still looks impressive.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    Michelle, CRG, EndME and 5 others like this.
  6. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't read this paper yet, but looks important, so #1 for this morning.

Replicates findings in Integrative Plasma Metabolic and Lipidomic Modelling of SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Relation to Clinical Severity and Early Mortality Prediction (2023, International Journal of Molecular Sciences). They were able to predict mortality out to 61 days from blood test at 24 hours, with an AUC of 0.96 and similarly long covid.

On the subject of serotonin, that paper said —

Michelle, EndME, Ron and 4 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Another thought is that people on SSRIs seem to have low plasma serotonin, see here for example:
    Use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors is associated with very low plasma-free serotonin concentrations in humans, 2019
    From that 2019 study, people on SSRIs had dramatically lower serotonin levels in plasma and bound to platelets. Serotonin levels in SSRI users look to be maybe a tenth of the levels in matched healthy controls.
    Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 8.31.04 am.png

I haven't looked closely into that or read the 2023 paper to see if they excluded people on SSRIs, but, if they did not, it does seem possible that rates of SSRI use might be higher in people, particularly women, who have LC symptoms and that that might also contribute to the difference seen here.

Michelle, LarsSG, Ron and 3 others like this.
  9. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah I thought that too and I feel like we've seen some long covid metabolomics before and not seen serotonin (maybe that dutch paper about kynurenine)

Their starting point is a meta analysis of previous metabolomics papers for acute COVID-19 where they see reduced serotonin and use it as justification for the rest of the work in this paper :
    upload_2023-10-16_20-29-56.png

Then see it again in a cohort of patients with acute viral infection generally - these patients had sepsis and were in intensive care. A similar looking effect size quite a night and day difference. They then go on do various viral challenges in mice and see a similar phenotype. When they use genetically altered mice deficient in various innate immune signaling (TLR3 / STAT1) genes the phenotype is rescued and serotonin levels go back up. They argue therefore that serotonin deficiency is a general feature of viral infection which is mediated by sensing of viral RNA and induction of type 1 inteferon.
    upload_2023-10-16_20-29-21.png

There's a lot more to this paper and seems like an interesting one to read through. Obviously I would like to see this done in ME/CFS, I wonder if we'd see a phenotype quite as strong as this.

10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan likes this.
  11. Hutan

So Cork study - 20 recovered, 20 PASC 'serotonin was among the metabolites whose abundance was most strongly depleted in PASC
    Sadlier et al. Metabolic rewiring and serotonin depletion in patients with postacute sequelae of COVID-19. Allergy. 2022;
    Forum thread here: Metabolic rewiring and serotonin depletion in patients with postacute sequelae of COVID-19, 2022, Sadlier et al
    I don't think it shows that low serotonin is characteristic of Long Covid - more on the paper's thread.

UNCOVR study - didn't find low serotonin. The authors of the 2023 Cherry study say that that might be because the PASC people in that prospective UNCOVR study weren't severe enough.

UCSF LIINC cohort - measured by the authors of this study.
    Peluso et al, Persistence, Magnitude, and Patterns of Postacute Symptoms and Quality of Life Following Onset of SARS-CoV-2 Infection: Cohort Description and Approaches for Measurement.
    Forum thread here: Persistence, Magnitude, and Patterns of Postacute Symptoms and Quality of Life Following Onset of SARS-CoV-2 Infection:.., 2022, Peluso et al
    Fig S2Q in the 2023 Cherry paper presenting the analysis of the UCSF LIINC cohort:
    Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 12.22.07 pm.png
    Again this is underwhelming in terms of evidence that serotonin is useful for distinguishing recovered people from PASC. The x axis is the number of symptoms (0 symptoms equals recovered), y axis is serotonin levels. People reporting just one post-Covid symptom were excluded from the chart.

I don't think there is a body of evidence supporting the idea of serotonin levels being a distinguishing feature of PASC.

As far as I can see, the literature around serotonin generally is a bit of a mess. I think it is possible that people who are severely affected with Long covid may be more likely to have low serotonin, due to secondary effects such as not getting enough sunlight.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  12. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a thought, why then did that DBRCT of ivermectin or metformin or fluvoxamine in LC show only metformin had a beneficial effect? Fluvoxamine an SSRI didn’t work

13. EndME

These were my exact first thoughts as well.

The second thing is that the idea behind the paper is somewhere along the lines of "what goes wrong in those with a very severe actue infection could be similar to what is happening in LC on a permanent basis". If that is the case there has to be an explanation for people seemingly fully recovering from acute Covid to then a couple of weeks later developing Long-Covid. SARS-COV-2 somehow going unnoticed and somehow establishing a reservoir during this time or the infection reactivating a latent virus which for whatever reason (possibly in combination with a reservoir of SARS-COV-2) staying somewhat permanently activated or permanently activating a pathway seem to be the most straightforward yet highly speculative answers to me.

One of the more surprising conclusions to me, given that this group is also very focused on viral persistence, is that they didn't care too much about the stool samples (p=0.06) and rather want to target mechanisms upstream from this with an SSRI. Perhaps they themselves didn't think the results were too remarkable. After all a little graph with a p-value only tells you very little. Was there perhaps a big decrease in the stool RNA load for patients that were further down the road? Or perhaps the focus of this paper should be a different one than what they are already doing elsewhere.

What I seriously do like about the study is the level of rigor they went through, possibly one of the most rigorous studies I've seen in Long-Covid. Of course it's still possible to find noisy phenomena on different levels.

Instead of guessing how these new Serotonin could be noise, given the rigor of the study, I will play devils advocate to see why other studies possibly didn't corroborate these findings. The most straightforward explanation I see, to argue why their results aren't noise, but still aren't reflected in some other studies is that some sort of viral persistence (SARS-COV-2, enterovirus gut reservoir or some other virus) is only happening in a subset of patients and you have to pick this correct subset.

UNCOVR study
    -explained above by @Hutan

Immunometabolic rewiring in long COVID patients with chronic headache
    -A study looking at post-Covid headache patients that found elevated levels of serotonin throughout various time points, from the acute phase till 3 months later. They collected samples a minimum of 8 days prior to post-Covid headache onset and then at another 4 time points with the latest time point being a minimum of 3 months post LC headache onset.
    -They found that those which developed a headache had activated inflammatory paths including TLR (TLR-4/8/2/1/10) and IFN pathways (including elevated STAT1 levels). In particular IFNγ and IFNγ-associated downstream cytokines were detected in LC headache group throughout sampling.
    -Perhaps it could be possible that whatever causes the dysregulation of tryptophan biosynthesis could somehow spin either ways or that different inflammatory pathways cause different phenomena with post-Covid headaches belonging to a different phenotype. Indeed this study found reduced levels of kynurenine (whilst those in the Cherry et al study normalised after the acute infection).

Fluvoxamine (mentioned by @leokitten above)
    -Two studies by Bramante et al. One looking at viral load in acute Covid, the other looking at the risk of developing Long-Covid. As Cherry at al point out "the effectiveness of SSRIs in acute COVID-19 has been a subject of debate". However, anecdotal evidence (both in LC and ME/CFS) as well as smaller studies don't look convincing. Perhaps these mechansims are too far upstream to be targeted so naively or once again the "correct" phenotype has to be chosen?

Which other studies are there that contradict the above results and are at least decently conducted?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Arvo, Michelle, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  14. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Scientists Offer a New Explanation for Long Covid

A team of scientists is proposing a new explanation for some cases of long Covid, based on their findings that serotonin levels were lower in people with the complex condition.
    In their study, published on Monday in the journal Cell, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania suggest that serotonin reduction is triggered by remnants of the virus lingering in the gut. Depleted serotonin could especially explain memory problems and some neurological and cognitive symptoms of long Covid, they say.

Gift Article Link
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/16/...U7JFK2pLqxOmm3-fiCJl0ENQ16esJw&smid=url-share

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2023
  15. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl, Michelle, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it appears that most people (in general, in the media) are focusing on the serotonin and Prozac part, and very little on the platelets and interferon part, or the tryptophan.

Figures.

I don't know but if there's a deficit of some important molecule I wouldn't try some harebrained way of juicing up what little of it there is, one that we know doesn't work, and rather focus on stopping the deficit since it clearly has a cause. But maybe I'm just weird.

DokaGirl, Michelle, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  17. Stuart79

Stuart79 Established Member

I have two questions for anyone who might know the answer or have a deeper understanding of the science.

First, after reading the paper thoroughly, I do not understand the use of SSRIs. The paper deals with peripheral serotonin and not brain serotonin. I can't find anything to suggest SSRIs increase peripheral serotonin. Others have even suggested there is evidence that SSRIs decrease peripheral serotonin. So, why would the researcher believe that SSRIs might help?

Second, does the persistent Type 1 IFN finding support the Itaconate Shunt Hypothesis? More specifically, am I correct in understanding that the persistent Type 1 IFN production found in this study includes IFN-a, which is what initiates the itaconate shunt pathway according to Robert Phair?

Many Thanks!

DokaGirl, Michelle, Jaybee00 and 5 others like this.
  18. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I'm following, it may be the complexity of CNS vs peripheral sites of action, ie which side of the blood-brain barrier the effects are occurring, and the cross-over effects between the two.

As I understand, SSRIs have their (at least initial) effect on the serotonin made centrally in the brain, at serotonergic synapses, by reducing re-uptake at the presynaptic terminal and thereby increasing the amount of serotonin remaining and effective in the synaptic gap.

However, SSRIs also block uptake of serotonin by platelets. See Fluvoxamine: A Review of Its Mechanism of Action and Its Role in COVID-19 (2021, Frontiers in Pharmacology). Does that increase or decrease peripheral serotonin levels? ("rapidly degraded by MAOs" suggests it decreases).

So perhaps SSRIs might counter-intuitively worsen the neurological effects that might result from this paper's putative peripheral low serotonin -> reduced vagal function pathway? (If true that might shed some light on the problems of trials of SSRIs in major depression.)

---
    The Expanded Biology of Serotonin (2009, Annual Reviews)

DokaGirl, Michelle, Trish and 3 others like this.
  19. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I remember correctly this was to prevent LC and the time of taking the drugs was 10 days or max 2 weeks? That's not enough for an SSRI to show any real effect.

DokaGirl, Michelle, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  20. EndME

That's what the most of us are wondering about as well, I believe. It seems they are trying to somehow address the reduced vagal function, which they of course can't measure in a trial, and memory impairment, but of course we are more complex than a simple mice model of an acute infection. Possibly they are hoping to go after a different mechanism. These researchers are smart and quite dedicated to LC so I think the only thing we can say is that we don't know all their motivations to trial SSRIs.

This is where it gets messy. That is because they actually didn't detect any persistent type 1 IFN (they cite this study which found evidence of it, but other studies haven't and by now you'll always find a study to cite anything you want in LC). They found low serotonin (and some viral RNA in the fecal matter) of LC patients and then the rest of the study is a mouse model of the acute infection. You can be sure that they would have looked for type 1 IFN (respectively the upregulation of genes), which they found in the acute infection in mice, to see if it's happening in LC as well. Them not supplying this data means that it's very likely that there is no evidence of it happening (which is what we've seen in other studies) or that they will be publishing it in a different study (which I doubt since we've already seen newer work than this study by Peluso et al).

The study is less of a LC study then one would think. It's essentially a study of one of the pathways that explains how serotonin is lower during an acute infection with any virus. The only thing that then ties this pathway together with LC is essentially their stool RNA findings, but there is no detailed analysis of these and stool RNA samples have been negative in almost all LC studies.

One can't draw any conclusions to any other hypotheses from that (re: itaconate shunt hypothesis, the nature study they cite finds IFN-b and some other IFNs, but not IFN-a, most LC studies find IFN-y), and if one could one would also expect serotonin levels to be lower in pwME, which they aren't.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023