1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish MP Carol Monaghan and her work for people with ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Mar 28, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you mean this one? https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-pace-trial-a-short-explanation-graham-mcphee.4669/

Trish likes this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged - 2019 UK Election

"Carol has also led the campaign in the UK Parliament to change attitudes towards Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), leading three landmark debates on the research and treatment on the condition and on the controversial PACE trial."

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2021
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting. Good to show support for the MP who has done the most to speak out on PACE issues.

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Carol Monaghan has not only done a great deal for pwME in the UK, but world-wide. I very much hope she is re-elected.

5. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Sly Saint for sharing this.

Carol Monaghan has done so much for PWME and it would be a great loss to our cause if she were not re-elected.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This raises an interesting dilemma which many people face: How should you vote at a general election if your MP has been helpful to you personally but you disagree with their politics and/or the politics of their party?

My MP has been helpful to me. He has come to see me at my house, responded to numerous emails, attended parliamentary debates on ME, and written to various people on my behalf. However, as grateful as I am to him for his help as a constituency MP, I will not be voting for him as I don’t support the party his represents.

If I lived in Carol’s constituency, and if I was opposed to Scottish independence (which I’m not saying if I am or not) I would have a much more difficult decision to make.

I understand that non-ME politics is banned under S4ME rules but I hope it’s OK to post this as a philosophical point of interest rather than a party political one. I’m certainly not wanting to instigate any sort of party political discussion.

7. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note:
    This thread is allowed, but please remember the relevant part of Rule 12:

JaneL, MSEsperanza, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  8. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite. I approached my caree's MP in relation to her PIP appeal shortly before the general election was called. It is a bit of a quandary.

MEMarge, JaneL, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  9. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

Im not from the UK but with what I assume is our equivalent stateside , electing senators, I am so desperate for help as a pwME I would vote for almost anybody if they were genuinely committee to this issue. If they were only paying lip service it would be a harder cost benefit decision.

10. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes some good news there.

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    Glasgow MP (Carol Monaghan) moved to safe house after death threat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57614736

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2021
    sebaaa, Simon M, Lisa108 and 17 others like this.
  14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That must have been awful. I'm glad they found the person behind this.

15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were several doctors in Canada that had their lives threatened b/c they promoted vaccines on social media. Some perps showed up at their homes.

sebaaa, alktipping, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  16. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is just awful.

We see so much around this topic as a community that relies heavily on the internet, we're even accused of it en masse as "militant" activists when straw man articles crop up.

We say that social media companies should do more, and so they should.

Who are the people and why do they need to react to others in this way. I know some will just do it for kicks, but maybe not all.

I am really surprised that social media companies don't have a readily accessible guidance section for people on etiquette/social mores etc like we do. Plus, maybe responsible use help like the gambling websites now have. You know, if you find yourself becoming angry out of proportion to the situation take a break and so forth.

I'm glad to hear Carol Monaghan and her family are safe. Saddened that social media abuse seems to be the norm.

sebaaa, Kirsten, Wits_End and 15 others like this.
  17. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely awful. What a horrific experience it must have been for her. What has the world come to? Social media has to be changed to prevent people doing this kind of thing anonymously and sentences for offenders should reflect the effect that this kind of behaviour will have on democracy. What woman is going to want to go into politics when this kind of thing happens on such a regular basis?

18. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is awful. I hope Carol and her family stay safe.

Sadly, and appallingly, Canadian female politicians face the same issues.

Don't know specifically about threats against male politicians here in Canada, except a recent one against our Prime Minister. I've no doubt social media threats against politicians are frequent here too

MeSci, sebaaa, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  19. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely we need an "agree" button or something other than a "like." This is appalling!

Can anyone explain why, if the conduct occurred in 2019, it's only now been prosecuted to sentencing? Has it taken that long to investigate?

MeSci, sebaaa, Ariel and 10 others like this.
  20. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Court system in the UK was always slow, but with ongoing budget cuts and with the pandemic restrictions it has become much much slower.

MeSci, TiredSam, sebaaa and 5 others like this.