1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scientists disconfirm belief that humans' physiological reaction to emotions are uniform

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Indigophoton, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neil Harrison, who is now on the CMRC and doing the FND trial mentioned during the PACE debate, comments in the article,
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-scientists-disconfirm-belief-humans-physiological.amp
    The paper (paywalled), http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037/bul0000128

2. Indigophoton

I saw this and immediately wondered if the same would be true for fatigue as perceived by the central sensitization model of ME, according to which, fatigue is an emotion (eg Fatigue is a Brain-Derived Emotion that Regulates the Exercise Behavior to Ensure the Protection of Whole Body Homeostasis)

From a summary of the latter paper (I'm not recommending the site, just found the summary useful)
    (Emphasis added).

I guess this idea underpins BPS as well as central sensitization.

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I always feel at my best when angry. Second best is grumpiness. I find happiness vastly over-rated.

4. Indigophoton

There's always one :rolleyes:

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was an article in the New Scientist about fatigue about 20 years ago. It mentioned CFS (not in a good way sigh) but was primarily about athletics. It spoke about fatigue in marathon runners who would get exhausted if there was suddenly a hill on their route but were fine if they knew it was coming. This must have been near the start of the fatigue as emotion thing.

They were doing OK until they spoke about a cyclist I think who died after using cocaine to feel less tired during a race. They concluded that the drug prevented his body realising he had reached the point of exhaustion.

So, basically, the article was saying that fatigue is a protective feeling that the body produces to prevent death but that we should be finding ways to stop feeling it so we can carry on longer. never seemed to cross their minds that the exhaustion in ME could be like fainting, protective and forces us into a position where we are not under threat.

It could be that, rather than our disease being a feeling of fatigue when we are actually healthy (as the BS have it) we have damaged systems which would kill us if we did not feel the exhaustion that stops us. I know that Paul Cheney said we have diastolic heart failure which prevents us doing things but he had systolic heart failure which has no symptoms until the heart is so overworked it fails and you need a transplant.

Just realised this is off topic but refuse to waste so much effort :)

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite so. I'm most 'impressed' by those folk who only seem happy when they are miserable.

TiredSam and Luther Blissett like this.