1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe Cell Phone for severe patient

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Allele2, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Allele2

Allele2 Established Member

Has anyone who is severe found a cell phone that they can tolerate? Member Samuel needs a phone but he has severe photophobia, sensitivity to flicker, and general neuro intolerance to the devices he has interacted with.
    Has anyone else here with photosensitivity due to very severe ME found a device that is okay for them? Or solutions for managing the screen flicker and dimming issues?
    He mostly needs it for emergency communication and interacting with his doctors and helpers.

Samuel may end up being without helpers round the clock (he is totally bedbound) so this is urgent. I am encouraging him also to get a medical guardian device, but he needs to be able to communicate with the outside world as well. All suggestions most welcome.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    bobbler, DokaGirl, Laurie P and 2 others like this.
  2. Allele2

eek, sorry for the typo, can't fix it now :(

alktipping, DokaGirl and Kitty like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If you mean in the title, I've fixed it.

4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Obviously it won't give him internet access, but a vintage landline phone has no lights at all.

I probably haven't enough insight to make any other suggestions—at least, not anything that he won't already have thought of.

5. Allele2

You're a doll, thank you :)

alktipping, Trish and DokaGirl like this.
  6. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are more people seeking out old school phones so i’d expect that they might be better for simple screens but it all depends on what sort of interaction works best for him? Text? Call?

NB sometimes the answer is to try email - less immediacy can be a good thing and the range of devices is even greater.

I’m told that a kindle has an easier screen in that it’s designed to be read with ambient light (rather than back lit). But i don’t have one to know its functionality.

Mij, Allele2 and alktipping like this.
  7. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have found the Twilight app on Android to be hugely helpful for managing dimming. This is not available on iPhones.

Twilight allows you to make the screen extremely dim, and take's out most of the blue light, which has allowed me to use it even in a darkened room when I have been more severely unwell. Something to consider or try maybe.

8. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The iphone equivalent is Night Shift ( in settings under display)

alktipping, Allele2, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just remembered about John's Phone, which came out quite some years ago. I don't know whether they were ever sold in the US, or whether you could get a secondhand one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John's_Phone

It does have a speed dial function, I think, so it wouldn't be necessary to type the number in every time.

10. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately it's much less powerful, and can't dim phone screens nearly as much as Twilight can on Android, but still worth using if you have an iPhone.

alktipping, Allele2 and Trish like this.