1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Davis’s big immune study is looking at HLA genes (HLA, WTF?) Here’s the story. [Simon M blog]

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simon M, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. deleder2k

deleder2k Established Member

A presentation by dr. Saugstad (Oslo University Hospital). No written documentation or specifics..

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Michelle, FMMM1 and Hutan like this.
  4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While I know basically nothing about this I'm intrigued. Anyone got an update?
    For one there's always been the association with autoimmunity but B-cell autoimmunity faded after the the failed rituximab trial. The other thing is purely supposition. I recall a researcher saying that she felt something new would have to be developed to understand this disease I.e. the tools were not there; so here's a new tool - HLA sequencing. In fact it looks like Ron Davis group are having to develop the techniques. Don't get me wrong, this technology is not outside our grasp but it does need to be refined.
    I'm just not sure why it's taking so long - money? I.e. if you can do one HLA sequence then doing X thousand takes more resources I.e. rather than a new discovery.
    Very interesting about the link to psyorisis; I have it and my family member with severe undiagnosed fatigue (ME?) has it. I recall some talk about the incidence of diseases, considered to be autoimmune, being higher in families with ME.

I assume all of the whole genome sequencing data for HLA should be treated with caution I.e. since Ron's team are having to revise the existing sequencing techniques for HLA genes.

Lots of assumptions here, some data, I.e. interim data from the project, would be nice.

@Jonathan Edwards I think you reckon T-cell autoimmunity is a way to destroy your career, or at least waste years; what do you make of this research area?

merylg and Michelle like this.
  5. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have a reference for that @FMMM1? From what I remember Montoya in his video talks mentioned he sequenced HLA and thought he had exciting findings and was close to publishing. When Ron Davis looked at them Montoya mentioned they would do a new study, and the paper was never published.

His latest NIH funded project will look at HLA.
    https://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=9724350&icde=31258613
    I seem to remember Ron Davis saying they would leverage HLA experience at Stanford. According to this webpage Stanford Blood Center has an expert profiling lab on HLA that I would guess his team is working with.
    https://stanfordbloodcenter.org/research-labs/hla-lab/

Michelle, FMMM1 and Perrier like this.
  6. FMMM1

I recall Ron talking about the difficulties sequencing HLA genes :; Stanford were working on special techniques for HLA genes. So if you have a standard genome sequence then I assume that the inference is that the data may not be reliable I.e. for HLA.
    We could of course ask someone from OMF. - if anyone has a contact.
    If I come across anything further then I'll post here.

Michelle likes this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not quite sure what to make of new interest in HLA. The main HLA gene types were identified in the 1980s and by the 1990s most HLA-associations had been identified. People looked for HLA associations in ME back in the 1980s I think. It is now possible to look at finer subtypes using direct sequencing rather than other methods but I am not sure of the chances of finding anything. A 20,000 cohort GWAS is being planned but we already have data on several smaller cohorts with no consistent HLA association as far as I know.

HLA genes encode the antigen presenting proteins of MHC Class I and II. The C locus is class I and is more likely to be linked to T cell responses than B cell-based antibody responses. I don't really believe in T cell autoimmunity but I do believe in diseases being due to T cell overactivity - as in ankylosing spondylitis, psoriasis and Reiter's syndrome. A link with an HLA-C locus with overlap with psoriasis would make sense for an ME subset. It is conceivable that his would be an HLA-C type given specifically by all four digits (e.g.0704) rather than the first two digits, that correspond roughly to the subtypes known in the 1990s.

FMMM1, shak8, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  8. wigglethemouse

There is some more info here and a 2012 paper "High-throughput, high-fidelity HLA genotyping with deep sequencing" by both Davis's
    https://www.omf.ngo/2018/07/25/julie-wilhelmy/

And more info here. It could be technology already developed in the 2012 paper but it's not clear.
    https://www.omf.ngo/2018/06/26/davis-nih-grant/
    EDIT: Here is Ron's quote from a 2018 talk
    https://www.omf.ngo/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Transcript-Dr-Ron-Davis-update-May-2018.pdf
    So they will be using the Stanford Blood Center HLA lab that I posted above for both HLA and KIR sequencing.
    https://stanfordbloodcenter.org/research-labs/hla-lab/

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    FMMM1, Michelle, Ron and 1 other person like this.
  9. wigglethemouse

@FMMM1 This is the latest info on the study I've seen suggesting an ongoing T-cell response. It was from the recent ME conference in Sweden in Oct 2019 and presented by Jonas Berquist on behalf of the OMF team. How is your Swedish?
    upload_2019-11-13_14-19-43.png

Code:
    https://youtu.be/XZcxLocioYU?t=9567

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Anna H, Amw66, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  10. FMMM1

Thanks @wigglethemouse this is interesting I.e. an update. I don't have any Swedish; anyone here know if you can do text to speech and then Google translate?
    I may ask if there's a transcript.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Anna H likes this.
  11. deleder2k

deleder2k Established Member

I hope someone can translate. I understand Swedish, but I can't do it at the moment. With respect to my post about cyclo and hla-c*07:04; it seems that PWME with ME after Canadian criteria with hla-c*07:04 have an increased chance of responding to cyclo treatment for their ME symptoms. Haukeland has teamed up with Oslo University Hospital. It is great to see bright researchers working together.

FMMM1, Anna H, Jaybee00 and 2 others like this.
  12. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe possibly perhaps @Anna H can help..? (Maybe if you can make a transcript of that specific part, we could then run it through Google Translate and tidy it up together?)

FMMM1 and Anna H like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

That looks like the Mark Davis data from a while back. I though that the findings had not panned out.

14. wigglethemouse

You are right. That Sweden slide seems to be old data from Montoya samples according to Mark Davis's NIH talk. In this talk he said they were just getting started with the new Ron Davis cohort, had just received the HLA data needed for the work, and may also need to start looking at TCR's on CD4 cells in addition to CD8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoYaZbMQ8LM

You probably understand more what he is talking about than I do. I'll need to watch a few more times. If you do watch I'd appreciate your thoughts on the talk.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  15. FMMM1

Haven't watched the video yet. I gather there were two projects i.e. Mark Davis's project on clonal expansion in CD8+ T cells (?) and Ron Davis's HLA study. I think I recall that Mark Davis's project on clonal expansion did not work out i.e. clonal expansion was found in the controls. However, I haven't seen anything on Ron Davis's HLA study, I was hoping there'd be some indication of how it's going. Maybe they had to do a lot of method development, on HLA sequencing, and that's what is holding up publication of the data.

16. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi, yes I can help! I'll start making a transcript right away:thumbup:

17. FMMM1

I think the clonal expansion of T-cells is unlikely to be interesting (hopefully I'm wrong). However, if talk deals with HLA and KIR sequencing then I'm certainly interested.
    Thank you very much. I'm particularly interested in whether Jonas mentions HLA or KIR sequencing. However, I'd pretty much be interested in any clues on how OMF research is going.

Jarred Younger's video presentation (in English at the same Conference) is interesting, their experiments (microglia activation) worked out - they're preparing to publish.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Possibly James May, Anna H and Amw66 like this.
  18. FMMM1

Thank you very much for this. Solve ME/CFS have funded Bruno Paiva i.e. to work on "class II molecules of the major histocompatibility (MHC)"[https://solvecfs.org/bruno-paiva/].

I'm not sure how Paiva's work fits; HLA's, MHC's, --- it is all quite technical.

19. Jonathan Edwards

In simple terms there is a big segment of a particular chromosome (I think 6) called the Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) - which means 'the section where most tissue type genes live.

The MHC was found to be made up of three parts. If I remember correctly they got numbered in the wrong order so that MHCIII is between MHCI and MHCII.

Before this was worked out the tissue type genes (other than blood group ABO etc.) were named HLA (human leucocyte antigen because they are found on nucleated cells like leucocytes). They started out just with numbers as in HLA-3 and HLA-27 but it worked out that all the various tissue type antigen are coded by three genes of one sort HLA-A, HLA-B and HLA-C in the class I section and HLA-D, which turned out to be three also, HLA-DR, HLA-DP and HLA-DQ in the class II section. (It is more complicated but that will do.) The class III section turned out to include genes used for cytokines and complement and not actual tissue type (HLA) antigens if I remember rightly.

All these genes, together with NK killing inhibitor (KIR) and activator receptors tend to vary a lot from person to person so are of great interest in any condition that might involve immunity. I would have thought that if there was anything major to find in ME it would have been found long ago, but I may be wrong.

20. FMMM1

Thank you very much for your reply; including your views on the likely significance.

rvallee likes this.