1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Preprint Role of the complement system in Long COVID, 2024, Farztdinov, Scheibenbogen et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Mar 19, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Role of the complement system in Long COVID
    Vadim Farztdinov; Boris Zuehlke; Franziska Sotzny; Fridolin Steinbeis; Martina Seifert; Claudia Kedor; Kirsten Wittke; Pinkus Tober-Lau; Kathrin Textoris-Taube; Daniela Ludwig; Clemens Dierks; Dominik Bierbaum; Leif Erik Sander; Leif Gunnar Hanitsch; Martin Witzenrath; Florian Kurth; Michael Muelleder; Carmen Scheibenbogen; Markus Ralser

Long COVID, or Post-Acute COVID Syndrome (PACS), may develop following SARS-CoV-2 infection, posing a substantial burden to society. Recently, PACS has been linked to a persistent activation of the complement system (CS), offering hope for both a diagnostic tool and targeted therapy.

However, our findings indicate that, after adjusting proteomics data for age, body mass index and sex imbalances, the evidence of complement system activation disappears. Furthermore, proteomic analysis of two orthogonal cohorts-one addressing PACS following severe acute phase and another after a mild acute phase-fails to support the notion of persistent CS activation. Instead, we identify a proteomic signature indicative of either ongoing infections or sustained immune activation similar to that observed in acute COVID-19, particularly within the mild-PACS cohort.

Link | PDF (Preprint: MedRxiv) [Open Access]

TiredSam, tmrw, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

Refutes Persistent complement dysregulation with signs of thromboinflammation in active Long Covid (2024, Science)

tmrw, ME/CFS Skeptic, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

tmrw, Kitty, EndME and 1 other person like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

tmrw, Kitty, EndME and 1 other person like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

GeneCards —

PON3
    BCHE
    STXBP5

Not sure about PON3 but PON1 was implicated in GWI: Evaluation of a Gene–Environment Interaction of PON1 and Low-Level Nerve Agent Exposure with Gulf War Illness: A Prevalence Case–Control Study Drawn from the U.S. Military Health Survey’s National Population Sample (2022, Environmental Health Perspectives).

Just looking at STXBP5, it has been associated with vWF, endothelial cells and platelets. Eg from Syntaxin-binding protein STXBP5 inhibits endothelial exocytosis and promotes platelet secretion (2014, The Journal of Clinical Investigation) —

tmrw, alktipping, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting @SNT Gatchaman, looks interesting, and a lesson in the need to match cohorts.

7. Hutan

Great that the investigators didn't stop at investigating the proteomics in the Zurich cohort after reassessing with the demographics properly taken into account, but also looked at two cohorts of their own: people post-severe Covid and people post-mild Covid.

Regarding that last cohort, the one likely to be most relevant to ME/CFS, the post-mild Covid:
    This study is more evidence that CRP isn't relevant in PACS.

8. Hutan

Has anyone looked at Supplementary Datafile 5? I don't know what the unit is for the proteins - all of the values seem to be in a very tight range, both between individuals and even between different proteins (ie approx 18 to 21). I assume the figures are the transformed outputs, log adjusted and probably also adjusted by the model that takes age and BMI into account?

There's also stuff about imputed values - from different visits? - in the methodology section.

I'm not up to working it all out, but if someone is across it, it could be interesting to hear about the process and understand it a bit more

tmrw, alktipping, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  9. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting @SNT Gatchaman!

I didn't think highly of the study by Boyman et al to begin with, so I'm just wandering if Scheibenbogen et al also looked at analysing/comparing the results of the Cardiff study as well or whether those match their data of their own cohorts better (it seems they might have also had some BMI problems in that study which might have affected the results).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  10. Hutan

As I said upthread, I think the post-mild Covid PACS fatigue+ cohort with some of the participants meeting ME/CFS criteria is the cohort of most interest to us.

While I love the overall approach of this paper, (i.e. attempting to account for the noise created by age and sex and BMI), I do think that they could have presented their results more clearly. I also wish that their post-mild Covid PACS cohort had all been compliant with the CCC (or another criteria with PEM). I hope the authors are as excited as I am by their results from the post-mild Covid PACS cohort and are continuing to work on getting some replicable proteomics for well characterised post-Covid ME/CFS.

Here's the volcano chart for the post-mild Covid cohort vs healthy controls, increased in size so the proteins can be read:
    I don't know why the Supplementary Data tables don't give us the individual data with the same x axis unit.

Listing out the proteins of interest for the search engine:

Increased:
    CFI, LRG1, APOB, IT1H3, CA1, SAA1, IGHV1-2

Decreased:
    BTD, LTF, PON1, COMP, IGKVA-1, IGKV1-17, IGHV5-51, GP1BA, IGLV8-61, CFD, MMRN1, PTEN, PROZ, IGHV3-7, RBP4, IGLV1-51, LUM, FN1, PFN1, TAGLN2

That's a clear illustration of how important it is to use a well characterised disease sample. Rather than PON3 being increased, as found in the initial cohort with its mixture of post-Covid consequences, it appears that PON1 was decreased in PACS-ME/CFS patients.

Looking for significant proteins is complicated in that it's not just a matter of proteins being elevated or decreased in the plasma. For one thing, it could be the levels of the protein in a particular tissue in the body that makes a difference, and the levels in plasma may or may not reflect that, or might even show the opposite quantity. As @SNT Gatchaman notes, PON1 is part of the GWI story. With the GWI work, it was found that different versions of the PON1 gene made people more or less vulnerable to neurotoxic sarin gas exposure, because one version is less good at detoxifying sarin. So, the researchers wouldn't necessarily find lower levels of the PON1 protein as a whole in the GWI patient's blood. What I think they found was a correlation between [the number of versions of the PON1 gene that was less good at detoxifying sarin (0,1,2) in the person's DNA] and [likelihood of developing GWI], while taking into account frequency of exposure to sarin.

Still, it's intriguing that lower levels of PON1 is there in the PACS fatigue+ group, perhaps suggesting that something is suppressing the body's response to toxins?
    (edit - sorry, fixed the last sentence)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  11. SNT Gatchaman

Reformatting to link these to GeneCards:

CFI
    LRG1
    APOB
    IT1H3
    CA1
    SAA1
    IGHV1-2

BTD
    LTF
    PON1
    COMP
    IGKVA-1
    IGKV1-17
    IGHV5-51
    GP1BA
    IGLV8-61
    CFD
    MMRN1
    PTEN
    PROZ
    IGHV3-7
    RBP4
    IGLV1-51
    LUM
    FN1
    PFN1
    TAGLN2

Note fibronectin is down in comparison to Prusty: Increased circulating fibronectin, depletion of natural IgM and heightened EBV, HSV-1 reactivation in ME/CFS and long COVID (2023, Preprint: MedRxiv)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2024
    Midnattsol, alktipping, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  12. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prusty at least partially used a Charite cohort as well (apart from Scheibenbogen being part of both studies), so there might be overlaps in some of the different cohorts. At the time there were also discussions about differences in plasma and serum levels of FN1, as well as FN1 seemingly being less of a measure of anything chronic in that study, rather than a reflection of having been infected with something previously (so chosing a post-mild Covid PACS fatigue+ cohort would seem less relevant with respect to that).

13. Hutan

Thanks SNT, very helpful links.

I know googling proteins can be like reading your horoscope in that there's usually something there that feels personally relevant. It's also fun.

Here's a few with high fold change and/or high p values but otherwise randomly chosen.

increased CA1 - from the Wikipedia entry:

decreased BTD - biotinidase (note, I don't think the results are suggesting a profound deficiency in the PACS cohort)
    Biotinidase Deficiency
    It's worth noting even as just another possible differential diagnosis for FMD and functional seizures - how many people with a functional diagnosis have been tested for BTD?

IG - immunoglobulin proteins
    increased
    - IGHV1-2
    decreased - IGKVA-1, IGKV1-17, IGHV5-51, IGLV8-61, IGHV3-7

The IGL stands for the lambda light chains
    The IGK stands for the kappa light chains
    The IGH stands for the heavy chains

That pattern of some IGH's being decreased and one increased is intriguing, is it just noise? The increased IGHV1-2 might well be, it's only just significant in the volcano plot F (shown above).

14. Murph

Murph Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea who is right but I like that Prof Scheibenbogen et al are not playing collegiate and politely ignoring a study they disagree with. I would like to see more public fights like this.

15. Hutan

I agree that it's nice to see researchers critically looking at studies and having a go to demonstrate the problems. I hope what they have done isn't seen as impolite or fighting though. It's science at work, it's exactly what we need much more of.

Us complaining about cohort matching here on the forum doesn't achieve much. We get better at dismissing findings, but still the misleading papers come. Whereas papers like this, examining the consequences of ignoring cohort differences, will be remembered by young researchers for the rest of their careers, and will help improve their work.

Wyva, mariovitali, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ig protein levels vary a lot within normals and Vh gene usage has never turned out to tell us very much except perhaps for Vh4-34 which is anomalous. I suspect noise.

Hutan, Kitty, FMMM1 and 1 other person like this.