1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rivka Solomon: Disease nearly keeps winner from Jewish Women Who Dared Awards

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jan 14, 2018.

1. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well-written and accurate awareness articles keep coming -- this one from the January 11, 2018 edition of the Arizona Jewish Post:

https://azjewishpost.com/2018/disease-nearly-keeps-winner-from-jewish-women-who-dared-awards/

A few excerpts:

"On this day, in the spring of 2003, I pushed past the utter exhaustion, knowing that exertion would cause my condition to even worsen. But, I was determined. After all, I was being honored with a Women Who Dared award."

"The only thing the attendees knew about me was what they read in the event program: I was a Jewish woman dedicated to social change and social justice, . . . What the attendees didn’t know was this: I also had ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis), a devastating, chronic neuro-immune disease that disables 836,000 to 2.5 million Americans, 17-20 million worldwide."

"Should I tell them, I wondered? I’d written it into my speech. But would I have the guts to reveal my personal struggle in such a public setting?"

"But that evening, I embraced the sentiment behind my women’s work: I stepped through my trepidation to tell the audience members about my disability. . . .

Now, 15 years later, I don’t hesitate to share my story; I tell the world. In fact, I now use all the skills I learned from my women’s empowerment work to assist ME advocacy."

Edited to change thread title.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Yessica, Allele, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to see Rivka is still active.