1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rituximab and placebo response

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Jonathan Edwards, May 27, 2019.

1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah now @Marky. That would be the nocebo* effect. Deep, deep down in your heart you were worried Ritux wasn't going to work - so of course it didn't.

*Nocebo: defined as punishment for cynical souls who refuse to believe in magic, consciously or subconsciously. Expect a publication in a prestigious journal anytime soon.**

** There probably already is but I haven't the stomach to look.

2. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes exactly, I always wondered why they didn’t use some type of more quantitative physical exertion test for the primary endpoint. Ampligen did for their trial, though not sure if there were criticisms of their specific choice of test.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Marky likes this.
  3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

That's your cynical soul right there :whistle:

How much do we have to exert ourselves to say something is not working good enough (if it is working at all)? I miss doing heavy workouts and hiking tall mountains, but I would still be interested in something that allows the "exertion" of daily living to not be a problem on bad days even if I can't do the more strenuous things.

ahimsa, Ravn, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  4. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It varies greatly between ME-patients.. In my first year i would get bad PEM from running, or lifting weights for 30 mins. Last year I got bad PEM from trying to make dinner.

5. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)