1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Researchers, clinicians and patients: submit a manuscript on ME to WORK journal

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Action posted this message on social media:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1159132214073921536

More in the full article: https://www.meaction.net/2019/08/07...ts-submit-a-manuscript-on-me-to-work-journal/

I don't get it: 13 September that's like next month. Who will be able to write a decent paper in a period of 1 month? Why would reputable scientists stop what they are doing now to try to make the deadline for this special issue of this journal (impact factor 1)?

I've asked ME Action for more information because I don't see anything about this special issue on ME/CFS on the journal's website (they speak of a special issue on Robotics for Occupational Ergonomics). https://www.iospress.nl/journal/work/

I was, however, intrigued, thinking that a review of randomized trials in CFS that used employment as an outcome could be interesting. Treatments such as GET an CBT are so often described as rehabilitative treatments that outsiders will get the impression that these treatments help to get ME/CFS patients back to work. It might be useful to get a nice, clean overview of this. But then, is it worth trying to do it for this journal on such a short notice?

Kitty, MEMarge, ScottTriGuy and 10 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is a SPAM publishing house. You pay to get stuff published that would not be published anywhere much else - except in one of another 100 similar places, for a fat fee.

MEMarge, Annamaria, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

How do you know authors have to pay to get published in this journal?

Kitty, Annamaria and Andy like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

I don't but you pay to publish in almost all journals these days - more for open access. Page charges became fairly routine around 2000.

5. ME/CFS Skeptic

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see publishing fee at all, this is not a fee-to-publish open access journal.

They are not on any of the lists of predatory publishers either.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_Press
    https://predatoryjournals.com/

However, that doesn't mean that there aren't more suitable/higher quality journals to submit an article to. "Work" is not PMC listed, which generally means the study will be ignored in systematic reviews. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/journals/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Kitty, Jaybee00 and Cheshire like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

It is usually quit hard to find out out that you are going to be stung for $600 until the proof stage I find. Page charges are never mentioned up front.

If the journal is not PubMed listed it pretty much has to be a new commercial outfit that is not going to make its money out of subscriptions and libraries as journals used to. Unless of course it has funding from a vested interest. This policy of inviting submissions for special issues on topics is typical of commercial rags. It cannot possibly produce anything of quality with that sort of deadline.

MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The publisher has existed in the Netherlands since 1987 and this particular journal since 1990
    https://content.iospress.com/journals/work/1/1

The problem is that if many universities don't have access to the article (this is a paywalled journal), then no one will ever read the paper.

Kitty likes this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

1990 is pretty new in my scale of things.

But if it has existed for 30 years without getting on PubMed it sounds as if maybe it is driven by some sort of political interest - may be like the DWP?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Kitty likes this.
  10. dratalanta

dratalanta Established Member (Voting Rights)

Work journal is abstracted by Pubmed, despite not appearing in PMC's journal list.

It is held by major libraries across the UK and elsewhere.

The journal focuses on issues of interest to occupational physicians, and may therefore be read by those controlling patients' access to workplace disability pensions.

Kitty, MEMarge, Snow Leopard and 3 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Having had a look in detail I see my first instinct was wrong. The proposal seemed very amateur and not consistent with a meaningful medical science journal. I now see that it appears to be an occupational therapy journal (even if billed as 'interdisciplinary'). I think the aims statement gives an idea of the level of material:

... editorial board especially encourage the publication of research studies, clinical practice, case study reports, as well as personal narratives and critical reflections of lived work experiences (autoethnographic/autobiographic scholarship), ... Narrative Reflections on Occupational Transitions, a new column, is for persons who have successfully transitioned into, between, or out of occupations to tell their stories in a narrative form.

This is not a medical science approach. I would interpret it as a moral support journal for professionals involved in delivering 'rehabilitation' designed to reassure them that they are doing a good job.

Kitty, MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.
  12. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The journal is at preprint stage. Thread here
    List of articles with links to threads about them here

Dolphin and Kitty like this.