1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Air - two podcasts on ME with Amy Mooney

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Amy Mooney, MS, OTR/L, is an occupational therapist who knows first-hand about the role of caregiving and about Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, or "ME," as the mother of a child with this condition. ME is also referred to as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Myalgic Encephalopathy, Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome, and Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome.

Amy has an undergraduate degree from Loyola University in Chicago and a Master's degree in OT from Rush University Chicago. She is a retired Peace Corp volunteer and has worked as an OT in a variety of pediatric settings, including schools, early intervention/home health, outpatient, and private practice. Amy is the mother of 3 school-aged children including a 12 year-old daughter who has ME. Amy is interested in increasing awareness about ME, especially in the medical community, and hopes to inform fellow OT practitioners about how they can support the care and provide treatment for people with this condition."

http://www.ontheair.us/podcast1/episode-22-up-close-with-myalgic-encephalomyelitis-me-part-1

"Amy Mooney, MS, OTR/L, our guest for Episode 22, is back to continue the discussion about Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, or "ME," through the lens of an OT practitioner and as a mother of a child with this condition. On this episode, Amy talks about the distinct role of occupational therapy in working with individuals with ME, and she calls for a shift in thinking that is sure to resonate with OT practitioners and others interested in and involved with ME."

http://www.ontheair.us/podcast1/episode-23-more-about-myalgic-encephalomyelitis-me-part-2

full details here: http://www.ontheair.us/podcast1

I have only listened to part of part one but so far is very good; explaining about the 'rehab' her daughter was prescribed only made her worse and how her idea of what the disease was has changed. The person interviewing has seen Unrest and talks about the effect it has had.

Atle, Annamaria, rvallee and 10 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

good find Sly I wonder if this podcast is listened to by OTs in the UK at all??

the music at the beginning is loud - Im not really sound sensitive but I had to turn it down quickly- the sound levels on the interview are ok so you might have to shift it back up again quickly too

listened to the first one and it was good

Annamaria, Sly Saint and andypants like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Should have pointed out that Amy Mooney is the mother of Lizzie Mooney:
    http://www.asbmb.org/asbmbtoday/201803/Feature/ME/

on that site found this:
    An eight-decade mystery
    Key moments in myalgic encephalomyelitis history
    have listened to both podcasts;
    highly unlikely but not sure if they would agree given the NICE guidelines. Another reason (as if we needed one) to remove CBT/GET asap.

4. Sly Saint

@PhysiosforME these podcasts (although about the situation in the US) may be of interest.

Annamaria, rvallee, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  5. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thank you for tagging us - will have a listen

Annamaria and Sly Saint like this.
  6. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks for tagging - will try and listen this weekend

Annamaria likes this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be nice to see S4ME mentioned among recommendations and resources.

MEMarge, rvallee and Annamaria like this.