1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Research waste in ME and CFS trials" - study found psychosocial trials on ME and CFS are more likely to engage in selective reporting

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sbag, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://meaustralia.net/2018/06/28/research-waste-in-me-and-cfs-trials/

University of Sydney’s Dr Sonia Lee looked at selective reporting in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome research. The study found psychosocial trials on ME and CFS are more likely to engage in selective reporting – meaning they are a waste of research funds and time – than cellular trials.

The small study “confirms the concerns raised by ME/CFS groups that psychosocial interventions are harmful, and present questionable therapeutic benefits no different to a placebo”.

Dr Lee appraised the bias of three trials, evaluating the methods of psychosocial versus celluar studies. The biases examined were study design, selection and measurement. The three studies were:

1. PACE: psychosocial interventions (GET, CBT, and Adaptive Pacing Therapy) to represent psychosocial trends (White et. al., 2011)
    2. A neural study (NS) on post-exertion malaise after GET to represent cellular trends (Cook et. al., 2017).
    3. A gut study (GS) on profiling gut microbial differences in ME/CFS individuals (Giloteaux et. al., 2017)
    These three studies were chosen due to their popularity (measured by altmetric scores) to represent ME and CFS research trends. The PACE trial is especially important to evaluate due to the criticisms and condemnation of the trial. The PACE trial is still influential in the treatment of patients around the world today, including UNSW’s Fatigue Clinic.

“As clinical trials become more complex, there is increasing concern selective reporting is harder to detect, and unforeseen complexities may escalate between the oversight bodies that monitor research integrity (eg. issues of research misconduct) versus the autonomy which allow research communities to freely conduct their own research. This review seeks to demonstrate these complexities in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).”
    Biological trials were five times more likely to address biases compared to PACE and twice as likely to be supported by evidence compared to PACE.

The celluar studies were also criticised for being weak in data, pointing out the need for consistency in research by clearly defining ME and CFS, applying a diagnostic criteria subject to a systematic evaluation.

Dr Lee is from the Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Australia. Here is the full preprint paper, which has not been peer-reviewed.

mango, John Mac, TrixieStix and 11 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there may be problems with selection and study design here.

Trish, BruceInOz, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

bioarxiv.org is a big thing in science at the moment. One of the key strands of the open science movement is the posting of preprints so that people can get early feedback on their work, and so that studies that yield null results and are therefore hard to publish don't vanish from existence.

Its a fun place to browse people's latest research, several years ahead of the final published version.

Its pronounced "bioarchive", the X is actually the greek letter chi

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Inara, mango, Indigophoton and 3 others like this.
  4. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've tentatively asked this elsewhere, but does anyone know how Sonia is? She disappeared from Twitter (@openmylab) in October last year.