1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recliner chairs

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by AliceLily, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm thinking of getting one for sleeping in for when I get a cold or for when my COPD flares up. Does anyone else sleep in them? Are they comfortable enough? I usually pile up pillows in bed when I need to sleep upright, never that comfortable really, but when you have to you have to.

Are recliners another name for the lazy boy chair or is there a difference between the two?

I usually have trouble replying everyone so please excuse me for this. I will appreciate any comment. Thanks.

andypants, DokaGirl, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  2. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I spend most of my day lying in my recliner, and I do sleep on it for 2-3 hours at a time. I’ve been doing this for 4 years. I’m on my second one. I never sleep or lay in my bed during the day. I like spending my time in my living room and my recliner is my best friend. I only use my bed at night, for sleep hygiene reasons and also to change the scenery.

Recliner is the name, Lazy Boy is the brand. No need to pay for an expensive Lazy Boy. Make sure you try it in the store and feel comfortable. Mine doesn’t go to 180 degrees, I don’t know if they make some that do. I don’t care though, as it’s probably best to not always sleep in the same position.

The first one I had was made of leather imitation and when you spend so much time sitting on it as I did, it starts chipping. I would find little snowflakes of leatherette everywhere on the floor and myself. This time I bought a vegan one and it’s really nice. It looks like leather but it’s not and it’s not supposed to chip. Material would be fine as well but I have dogs so not for me.

DokaGirl, MeSci, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got a foam wedge thing for my mattress (one that goes the full length of the mattress) and usually that's enough to raise my head a bit to help my breathing, but if I need to sit up more, I do move to a recliner. That's better than stacking pillows, I agree.

I don't often sleep in my chair, but if the bed wedge wasn't enough, I wasn't going to sleep in bed anyway, and the recliner is then more restful.

If there's any way you can get to the store to try them out, they are not all made the same. So I would be sure to try it and make sure you can work the lever (or it has electric controls) and it's a good fit for you.

It's also very nice during the day to be able to change position a bit, and still have feet elevated.

DokaGirl, AliceLily, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  4. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a Norwegian Stressless recliner which is a lovely thing but I couldn't sleep on it don't think.

It doesn't recline flat and when it is fully reclined the headrest comes forward so you can still watch tv etc. The lumbar support is very good though because it flattens in the reclining position and vice versa.

I just tried lying down on it but it's not flat enough for me. The angle is a bit like a fully reclined aeroplane seat. When I tried turning over, the reduction in weight on the top half made it edge towards the upright position again.

Hope this helps a bit to find out what to look for.
    Untitled.png

MyalgicE, DokaGirl, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  5. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree about trying them in the shop though it’s very hard for many of us to do. It’s amazing how many chairs etc are so very uncomfortable!!!

I have a stressless chair and couldn’t sleep in that, for some of the reasons stated above. It is a good change of scene but it doesn’t go back enough for me to spend long periods on it (severe POTS).
    We have a reclining electric sofa and that is really great. Very comfortable and goes a bit further back but again not enough for me when very unwell (great for TV watching) and I struggle to sleep even in bed comfort-wise so I have never slept on it. My partner falls asleep on it regularly!
    For me, making sure it’s long enough that my feet don’t dangle is so important, as well as any foot rest staying where it should be (ie attached is probably best) as I can’t use muscles for long to hold my position. It has to be fully supported if you are sleeping.
    Good luck.

MyalgicE, WillowJ, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm also wondering about getting a recliner chair so I don't spend so long in bed. At the moment I use a half bed length wedge plus pillow at night. Bought for hiatus hernia and reflux symptoms, but turns out also a bit helpful for my mild POTS like symptoms. During the day I add a second wedge on top of it to create more of a slope. Seems to work for me, but it would be good to be in a different room more during the day. I have occasionally slept with both wedges.

7. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have one but can't sleep on it as it I need to be flat. However, its great for sitting with my legs up.

MyalgicE, WillowJ, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I considered one a few months back, I looked at several, online, and couldn't find any within budget that looked suitable, stable or robust enough. Although based on reviews price didn't seem to be much of a determining factor in quality (mainly used by old/disabled people and in the Uk a lot of companies see them as ideal people to fleece so charge several time smore than their product is worth), my budget was fairly low, for an item I have no idea if it would be helpful or a white elephant, at around £350.

It appeared that the only way of having any chance that a particular recliner was okay was to go and sit in it, and a lot of the manufacturers are in weird and difficult to get to places, by public transport. Hotels would have been required. Even then they could have pulled a furniture land - good display model but the one they ship is junk.

Then I went into a temporary remission and the idea got dropped.

WillowJ, DokaGirl, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  9. Annaiom

Annaiom Established Member

Hi
    I use a reclining chair mostly in the evenings. I got mine online from Lloyds Pharmacy, they delivered it assembled and I think it was less than £200, it's a stressless style with a separate sloped foot rest. I have slept on it, i get upper respiratory tract infections and sometimes I have a change of scenery and use it to have a sleep during the day. I don't sleep on it regularly as I prefer to sleep in my bed. I will be getting another one if/when my current one breaks.

MyalgicE, WillowJ, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  10. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think if you are in the UK and buy an adjustable bed or reclining chair (maybe just a rise and recline chair) for disability reasons then you can claim back the VAT paid. I'm not sure of the process but here is a link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-relief-on-certain-goods-if-you-have-a-disability

Some shops specialize in things like rise and recliner chairs (they lift you up to near standing for people with mobility problems) and make claiming VAT back easy (or did 10+ years ago!). They one we have is quite comfy although I'm not sure about sleeping in it.

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

When I bought a wheelchair on line from Amazon in the UK a few years ago I just had to fill in something on line saying I was disabled and I got it VAT free. I didn't have to pay it and then claim it back.

12. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think I did the same with stuff for a walk in shower. I have a vague memory of claiming VAT back for a adjustable bed but not sure.

Its worth people being aware of the possibility though.

13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People should be aware this only applies to good were VAT was paid. If, for instance, you buy an item, from a UK site, and it's shipped from a UK address and arrives next day, it didn't necessarily pay VAT - and without a VAT chain you can't claim back diddly squat.

Overbed table, made in the USA, warehoused and sold in the UK for £229 (by amazon) - no VAT - no chance of claiming it back.

Apparently the rules don;t apply to some sellers.

Don't just assume you'll get the VAT money back, automatically or not.

14. AliceLily

Dechi, Trish, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  15. AliceLily

@Dechi Thanks, I did wonder if Lazy Boy was a brand name. Yes, I can't afford to buy an expensive one so will be looking for the best at the lowest cost possible.

There is one furniture shop that has quite a variety of recliners from looking at their web page and one bus trip away. I'd love to find one that reclines back like the chair at a dentist.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Dechi and Wonko like this.
  16. AliceLily

@WillowJ I'll look out for some wedges as well. I love the bed I bought a year ago. We don't get to lie in them for long when choosing a new bed, so I'm glad the one I did choose has turned out well.

WillowJ and Trish like this.
  17. AliceLily

@oldtimer thanks for trying your chair out. Interesting to hear how it feels for you. I'll take my camera with me when I go and if I find a recliner that feel good I'll post pic of it. I'm not going to hurry to find one, so will look at as many as I can.

Trish likes this.
  18. AliceLily

@ProudActivist Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I'm trying the chairs out so that I don't get one that is not long enough to rest my feet on properly.

Trish likes this.
  19. AliceLily

Yes, I'll say @Wonko

Wonko and Trish like this.
  20. AliceLily

Welcome @Annaiom It was good to hear your experience and I'm pleased to hear you found one that suits. I'm looking forward to getting one now.

ProudActivist and Trish like this.