1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding a tolerable life: narratives of women recovered from fibromyalgia, 2020, Eik et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09593985.2020.1830454
    Sci hub, unable to access

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Having only read the abstract, I have no idea what these people's stories include, but I can't help being suspicious about the framing of the story in the abstract that implies FM is all about fear of exercise.

Maybe, just maybe, at least in some recovery stories, the key is that the person was naturally recovering, and was therefore enabled by improving health, and lessening pain, to become more active. Maybe, just maybe, in some cases they have been taught by therapists to attribute their improvement to their own efforts.

And maybe framing it in this way causes harm, as those unlucky enough not to have a natural recovery feel, and are, blamed for not trying hard enough to get better.

I can't help thinking of my own 6 months very debilitating ME-like illness following glandular fever 43 years ago, before the psych narrative was invented and rehabilitation became the buzz word instead of the old fashioned convalescence. I rested, and rested, and rested some more until my body recovered and I got up and got on with my life. No therapy, no blame, no need for GET to get me moving again.

Simbindi, alktipping, Alton and 6 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find narratives meaningful. Stories are IMO very powerful ways of sharing a POV.

But they aren't science. What they are is generally fiction. Exaggerations for dramatic effect to deliver the most emotional impact.

Of course for every person out there, there is the real story of their life. Generally not as powerfully dramatic as fiction. And the problem here is that people when faced with adversity want a story that will make sense of things that often don't have any obvious sense to them and they want the story to reveal the struggle they feel in coping and the efforts it takes for them to function which are not at all obvious to others.

Enter the behavioural psychologist. Manipulative to the point of mastery. Tell the ill person what they want to hear (attentive listening then validation of suffering), frame the problem as one that they (psych) have the keys for the solution ( fear of exercise / behavioural modification) and inform the ill person that it is within their power to 'overcome' (a powerful word) and 'win' making it more an epic gladiator struggle where they gain validation through hard work. Getting validation from someone especially when previously experiencing the opposite is a very powerful human motivator.

Validation through hard work. I've heard that concept before in another rather unpleasant (evil) context.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Robert Bennett, rheumatologist at Oregon Health Science Center, and a clinician with over 5000 patients and a researcher who discovered low growth hormone levels in fibro patients said (in the 1990s):

one third of patients get worse, one-third of patients get better, one-third of patients stay the same.

To write of "recovery" in fibromyalgia means they were not properly diagnosed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Or they have redefined 'recovery' to mean improved.

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[My emphasis in quote]

Do you mean "low growth hormone levels"?

shak8 and alktipping like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Never heard from them again" seems to be the criterion for = "recovered".

Then of course the same people are puzzled at all that "doctor shopping" and don't see the link or imagine that it could concern them, showing that sometimes ignorance truly is bliss, as long as you don't care much about professional responsibility anyway.

Joh, Snowdrop, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if we had a system similar to the one in education that weeded out piss poor teachers/ schools for the medical profession to remove the licences of those who are simply to lazy or stupid to keep up with the actual science rather than bullshit that only exists to save costs .

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  10. shak8

Whoops, yes.

Arnie Pye likes this.
  11. shak8

Perhaps, but they do say recovered and ipso facto that is extremely rare.

I'm being very generous here that there's a problem with low to no-cost translation services from Norwegian to English.

As in: "The close analysis reveals a recovery narrative portraying a complex and ambiguous process consisting of small dramas (my bolding) about the efforts trying to rebuild a meaningful life."

Oh, yes, it's about women, so it's their small dramas--lost in translation or denigration of females?

One last thing: The main researcher is a physical therapist, there's an RN, a psychologist and another PT.

Post edit note: According to the American College of Rheumatology: there is no cure for fibromyalgia. Good night.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020