1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Quotes about the BPS model of ME/CFS as a mistake not to repeat with Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Apr 1, 2022.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bit of a mouthful thread title, but I have seen many references in the last few years that explicitly blame the biopsychosocial model of ME/CFS as a historical mistake, a failure that should not be repeated with Long Covid.

Sadly, though, it is being repeated. But one of the main tropes of BPS ideologues and their supporters is that only a small vocal minority are in opposition to it, and do not represent the majority of patients. As best as I can tell, this sentiment is nearly universal: the biopsychosocial model of ME/CFS has been a massive failure and complete change is needed.

Far from it being a small vocal minority who object to the psychosomatic model of ME/PVFS/LC, it is almost universal within both the LC and ME communities. I have not to this day seen a single objection to it from long haulers. Aside from, maybe, Paul Garner, whose status is... conflicting.

Mentions of the historical failure of how medicine handled ME/CFS have been featured in newspapers, in legislatures and panels and roundtables discussing Long Covid. So this is a thread that aims to keep track of such quotes in public forums, whether news media articles or from authority figures.

The format I will follow is:
    A reference to where, when and who said it, either a URL to the article being quoted, or an embedded tweet featuring it.

Midnattsol, ahimsa, Mithriel and 23 others like this.
  2. rvallee

Mithriel, rainy, nick2155 and 10 others like this.
  3. rvallee

https://twitter.com/user/status/1509935229544374283

Mithriel, rainy, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If this is to be a thread of record then it is probably worth taking screenshots or making PDFs of critical stuff and posting it here for posterity, in case it is removed/altered at the quoted source.

5. rvallee

I'll see what I can manage in terms of archiving some of this, but it'll take me a while to find an easy workflow.

Meanwhile I will try to restrict the quotes from figures of some authority, by professors or physicians, or in an official setting like legislatures, committees and conferences, but will make an exception for articles like this, where the historical failure of the BPS model of ME is the topic and published in a high profile media.

The Guardian: I have long Covid and despair that the UK government ignores its blight