1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Researcher Interactions Question collection thread for S4ME Q&A with Dr Michael VanElzakker

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Dr VanElzakker and I haven't quite finalised exactly when this Q&A will take place but, famous last words, we are close to doing so, and it will probably be sooner rather than later, so I'm asking for your questions now.

[ETA: We are now booked in to talk on Fri 11th October].

Background:

From his profile at Tufts University, https://ase.tufts.edu/psychology/people/vanElzakker/index.htm
    His Researchgate profile, https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Vanelzakker

Recent papers:
    Neuroinflammation and Cytokines in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A Critical Review of Research Methods, discussed here
    Chronic fatigue syndrome from vagus nerve infection: a psychoneuroimmunological hypothesis, from 2013, Paywall, Scihub

And he can be found on Twitter here, https://twitter.com/MBVanElzakker

ETA: Date of Q&A

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great, ty!

1.)

Would he advise to try transcutane vagus nerve stimulation?

If so, which product would he try and with which protocol?

If he would be interrested, I‘d maybe finance a small placebo controlled study for this. If he would be interested but has no time maybe he could redirect it to someone else he sees capable of doing it.

2.)

Why is nobody trying to get nerve tissue biopsy samples (from vagus nerve?) from patients? I am sure there would be enough patients to do so!

3.)

Does he think that Enteroviruses could play a role in me/cfs in a subset? The similarities with post polio syndrome are very apparent, also there were tissue biopsies showing Enteroviruses in me/cfs patients.

How will you come back to us?

Thank you!

Rain, dangermouse, Annamaria and 7 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

mariovitali, Sing, Cinders66 and 11 others like this.
  4. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Andy and thanks to Dr. VanElzakker.
    1. How does he choose his cohorts and which criteria does he use, and does he see any differences/similarities in the results between criteria? Could this be used to sub group patients and ultimately treatment strategies?
    2. Have you or will you be carrying out punch biopsy for SFPN and could he again look to see if there are any differences/similarities in the results using different criteria and also see if there is any correlation between those with extreme neuropathic pain and mast cell problems.
    3. What would results of punch biopsy infer with regard possible treatment strategies?
    4. Could he please explain why MIT/Mass Gen/ Harvard use punch biopsy over the new ‘machine’ (forget it's name) which supposedly can give just as good an interpretation of SFPN than using punch biopsy. Does he think the new technology is inferior to a punch biopsy?

MyalgicE, dangermouse, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A question I've had for a while and I think he's well-placed to comment on this.

The paralysis state sometimes experienced by ME patients is hard to describe. It doesn't feel so much that nerve signals are not being sent but rather that they are being resisted, a sort of feedback that kind of cancels it. You want to move and try to and it's usually possible but only by mere fraction, as if a perfect counterweight was resisting the action.

Personally, I find it a similar experience to the thing we commonly call "getting the wind knocked out of you", though I have no idea what the proper term is and what it has to do with breathing besides making it difficult. It feels like a shock to the system, a sort of forced hold to prevent any further damage in case the bodily trauma that caused it could be worse than it seems but hidden by adrenaline or whatever other responses create this state of shock.

An example of that would be falling from a certain height, being tackled or ramming into a wall. It's that initial moment after the hit when you can't really move or process what is happening. There is no nerve damage and yet it's nearly impossible to move, think or have much awareness.

I'd like to know what is that state and what is involved in its physiology. Do we know much about it? It sounds like something very hard to study since for accidents that state will be long gone by the time someone gets to a hospital and I doubt there would be approval for a study that includes intentional infliction of serious bodily harm, no matter how convincing the promises of not causing injury may sound. The TACKLE trial is unlikely to get approval.

I think it's likely that there is a common link between the two. A sort of protective state that is misfiring. Would there be a way to test this?

MyalgicE, Sing, dangermouse and 8 others like this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a similar question to one I wrote in the Karl Morten thread

In his NZ presentation Karl Morten showed a 6 fold increase in Glutamate and a reduction in Glutamine. (finding not replicated yet)
    [​IMG]

Here is his slide of data scatter
    [​IMG]

In your Harvard talk you presented changes in Glutamate and Glutamine levels with PEM/changes in symptoms
    [​IMG]

Elevated Glutamate or glutamate metabolic issues are thought to be involved in Catanonia (Wikipedia) and Catatonia symptoms share many elements with very severe ME.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia

Some quotes from Wikipedia:
    Here is a recent Twitter thread that is worth a read on Catatonia by Dr. Mark Guthridge from Australia (tweets a lot about ME/CFS)
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1146043831822848000

We have heard from patients that benzodiazepine can help severe or very severe ME and the Stanford ME/CFS clinic sometimes prescribes low dose Abilify. Both drugs are also used in Catatonia.

Q1. Could there be a high glutamate subset that exhibits particular symptoms at a high level (e.g. very severe ME)?
    Q2. How do Glutamate levels in the blood correlate to Glutamate levels in the brain?
    Q3. What could be the causes for high glutamate or glutamate changes with PEM? Problem with glutamate transport perhaps?
    Q4. What are your thoughts on the topic of how glutamate can cause glial activation - are there other methods that can be used to quantify if this is happening in a subset of patients.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  7. wigglethemouse

In 2018 Prof Theoharides came out with a paper titled "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-Metabolic Disease or Disturbed Homeostasis?"
    Thread here
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/myalg...rbed-homeostasis-2018-theoharides-et-al.5257/
    Is there anything in your work that suggests mast cells activating microglia in the brain may play a role in ME?

8. wigglethemouse

Jarred Younger received a grant from the NIH for brain scans in ME. Is there an opportunity to coordinate work between the two groups so that together the field moves forward faster? e.g. something you find, or a technique you use, would allow him to test your small sample observation in a larger cohort quickly.

Along similar lines, do you see an improvement in collaboration in ME/CFS research. We hear the words spoken, but are the words becoming reality?

Sing, mariovitali, Cinders66 and 12 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Dr VanElzakker and I are now booked in to talk on Fri 11th October. As with all my previous Q&As these are recorded, edited and then released on our YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD17E9tRKSy8OByClNu3I6Q - I'd anticipate it would be released a week after recording.

TigerLilea, MyalgicE, Sing and 18 others like this.
  10. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you Andy i am looking forward to it!

Ravn, Mij, Sunshine3 and 9 others like this.
  11. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could there be a diagnostic test for ME/CFS based on brain imaging?

Ravn, Sarah94, Milo and 6 others like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you see ME/CFS as one heterogeneous illness or several illness that have large overlap in their characteristics?

If it's the latter, then what is the common thread in all of them?

Ravn, Perrier, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  13. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy Thank you so much for this upcoming Q&A.

I have a question regarding glutamate and excitotoxicity, since Glutamate is a key part of excitotoxic insults. If we assume that patients have increased glutamate levels, how can we identify excitotoxic events in the brain and / or other tissues of ME patients?

Also, since tinnitus is one common symptom of ME patients, could it be possible that this symptom can be attributed to excitotoxic events, given the below ?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6458046/

JohnM, Ravn, Perrier and 7 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

does he have any thoughts/opinions he wants to share about CCI being linked to ME?

Ravn, Perrier, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I will ask him about this but if it's a subject that he's not willing to address then I won't ask him about it in the video. Having said that he spoke about it at the IiME conference so at the moment I wouldn't want to predict if this is something we will be talking about or not.

Ravn, Mij, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  16. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy thanks for this.

I’d like to ask:

1. What are your thoughts on thyroid involvement or hormone involvement in a subset of patients with ME.

2. What are your thoughts on cardiac involvement in a subset of people with ME. Not necessarily regular issues, Microvascular involvement.

3. What are your thoughts on how ME can fluctuate and how (sometimes) some patients (maybe a subset) have mini remission periods.

17. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks for seeking our input with one of my favourite researchers @Andy
    My quite basic questions not put well I doubt:

1) if there is microglial activation is there any supplements or diet with any effect patients can take and/or any drugs that he himself might recommend or try in trials.
    2) I personally feel quite sure there will be neuroinflammation found. I’m guessing his cohort will be from the mild-moderate. If he finds correlates with level/extent of neuroinflammation and severity within that cohort would he expect the severely affected to Have higher and even “high” levels? . I’m aware of talk of “low grade neuroinflammation” but I don’t think that the levels will be the same across severity. Does he think massive brain dysfunction or microglia activation is going on in the severe to cause such knock out symptoms. I know he’s talked about post concussion symptoms, and concussion can be milder or knock out too I think..

dangermouse, Ravn, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ok thanks @Andy i wasn’t sure if he’d already commented but as his area involves brain imaging it seemed to me like he might have something useful to say

19. wigglethemouse

Dr Leighton Barnden gave a talk at the Australian ME Conference on "Brain Stem Myelination & MRI Changes in ME/CFS"
    https://mecfsconference.org.au/videos/leightonbarnden/

I believe Dr. Van Elzakker's interest is also the brain stem. I'd be interested to hear how the two groups are similar and different in what they are studying.

Are any of the current studies at Harvard able to look into myelination in the brain stem in order to replicate/extend Dr. Barnden's work in a small cohort? If not, is there an interest to do so in the future?

ukxmrv, Aroa, Sing and 10 others like this.
  20. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy I know it was mentioned above the whole glutamate picture. I'm so interested in his thoughts. I'm severe and klonopin helps me, it helps me function a little longer and clears the fogginess. Without klonopin I'd be unable to attend GP. Klonopin also helps me sit upright for longer and can at times stave off a crash.