Psychosomatic symptoms related to exacerbation of fatigue in patients with medically unexplained symptoms, 2022, Hashimoto et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Oct 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jgf2.582

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
    Open Access
    Psychosomatic symptoms related to exacerbation of fatigue in patients with medically unexplained symptoms

Kazuaki Hashimoto MD, PhD,Takeaki Takeuchi MD, PhD,Maya Murasaki MD,Miki Hiiragi MD,Akiko Koyama MD,Yuzo Nakamura MD,Masahiro Hashizume MD, PhD
    First published: 11 October 2022

https://doi.org/10.1002/jgf2.582

Abstract
    Background
    Medically unexplained symptoms (MUS) are common conditions that cause various somatic complaints and are often avoided in primary care. Fatigue frequently occurs in patients with MUS. However, the somatic and psychiatric symptoms associated with fatigue in patients with MUS are unknown. This study aimed to clarify the intensity of fatigue and the related somatic and psychiatric symptoms in patients with MUS.

Methods
    A total of 120 patients with MUS aged 20–64 years who visited the Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Toho University Medical Center Omori Hospital, between January and March 2021 were considered. The participants' medical conditions were assessed using the Chalder Fatigue Scale (CFS), Somatic Symptom Scale-8 (SSS-8), and Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS). We estimated the relationship between CFS, SSS-8 and HADS by using Spearman's rank correlation. Additionally, linear multiple regression analysis with CFS as the objective variable was used to identify symptoms related to fatigue.

Results
    Fatigue was significantly associated with all symptoms observed (p < 0.01). Linear multiple regression analysis revealed that “dizziness,” “headache,” and “Sleep medication” were extracted as relevant somatic symptoms (p < 0.05), independent of anxiety and depression, which were already known to be associated with fatigue in MUS.

Conclusion
    The intensity of anxiety, depression, headache, and dizziness were all associated with the intensity of fatigue in MUS patients. On the contrary, sleeping medication was associated with lower levels of fatigue in MUS.

Peter Trewhitt and Theresa like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Medically unexplained symptoms (MUS) are common conditions that cause various somatic complaints

Seems circular.

EzzieD, RedFox, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We are ignorant and we don't like it, so we try to avoid these patients. Also we don't try to appropriately research and treat these patients. Many patients don't spontaneously recover. We find that it's hard to treat patients when we don't treat them.

(I'll let the poorly constructed last sentence pass.) What we as healthy doctors understand by the term fatigue is perfectly normal and seen in healthy people leading normal healthy lives. Also, fatigue leads to significant economic burden and social loss, but is totally-the-same-thing because it has the same name.

"Significantly reduces quality of life and functioning" so prevention "might be important". OK I'd prefer something a little stronger but fine, scientific papers shouldn't overstate a position.

Whoops, you've overstated the position.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 3.54.21 PM Medium.jpeg

We have have no idea what is causing the symptoms so we've decided it's in their heads. Also, we've all published some papers saying this, therefore that's what it is. We're sticking with it.

How about the somatic symptoms the patients describe are commonly associated with these other symptoms — which you have labelled as anxiety and depression, but are probably largely dysautonomia and neuroinflammation?

What does this mean? Depression is a mood disorder principally characterised by anhedonia — a pathological inability to be happy. But if only the patient were more happy, they wouldn't be so unhappy? Or fatigued?

OMG! Science? ... hurrah! Quick — keep going with that ...

Oh never mind — "functional dizziness" — exacerbated by upright posture.

Any possible relationship to the robustly demonstrated pathological reduction in cerebral blood flow on standing, present in nearly all patients with this condition?

---
    Whenever I read "MUS" I now translate to "MFP" - Medically Failed Patients.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Snow Leopard, EzzieD, RedFox and 13 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bad brain fog this morning, but aren’t the authors just saying the worse someone is the worse they are?

5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

:thumbup:

EzzieD, RedFox, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who would like to visit the department of psychosomatic medicine, raise you hand? ... Anyone?

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this is one description of MUS. IE a group of conditions; meaning diagnosed illnesses eg ibs,cfs etc.

the other interpretation however is more in line with the name; medically unexplained symptoms; namely the actual symptoms, which are primarily fatigue and pain.

the latter allows them to include an almost infinite number of conditions to the 'list' eg MS

see: https://www.s4me.info/threads/uk-im...blogs-and-discussion.14318/page-6#post-424909

you also need to question why they call them 'medically unexplained' when they are invariably symptoms included in the diagnostic criteria for the conditions.

livinglighter, EzzieD, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks SNTG, I enjoyed your witty translations of the authors' nonsense. They really haven't a clue.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thing where "a primary symptom" or a "differentiating symptom" has to be found seems to have completely warped medicine's ability to move ahead from acute card and onto chronic care. Common symptoms of illness are common in people who are ill. This is obviously consistent with illness.

It's really growing on me that it's the differential diagnosis approach that is failing here. It works when there are clear differences between diseases and unique symptoms. It obviously completely fails when that's not the case. It's often not the case. This is really a problem here of a model of reality being upheld above reality itself. This approach does not work when there are no clear differences, it just leads to silly nonsense like this.
    It's generally difficult to get better at something without ever trying. It's often impossible when it's something especially difficult. Decades of continuing not to try, especially pushing the same mindless nonsense in circles, will also not make it any easier at figuring this out, one might even say that it's a failure of choice. It's me, I'm saying that, this failure is entirely a choice, complete dereliction of duty. Revolting stuff.

Not to speak of how medicine has, somehow, decided to make the two most common symptoms to be the defining symptoms of mental illness. That's as embarrassing a disaster as it gets. Frankly it's become as bad as "The card says Moops". What the hell is "the card says Moops", you might ask?

It's insisting that something that is clearly mislabeled has to be right, even though it's clearly wrong. The card has a typo, the answer is obviously wrong, but the model says otherwise, and the card/model is everything, a decision process based on nothing but winning an argument. That's following the rules the wrong way for the wrong reasons.

10. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are there any data on what percentage of people labeled as having MUS eventually get a medical diagnosis?

I imagine my own journey with ME. For almost 4 years, I had no medical explanation for my symptoms. Them BAM! ME diagnosis.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.