1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychological predictors of fatigue, work and social adjustment, and psychological distress in rheumatology outpatients: A short report. 2019 Chalder

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Matcham, F., Ali, S., Irving, K., & Chalder, T. (2019). Psychological predictors of fatigue, work and social adjustment, and psychological distress in rheumatology outpatients: A short report. European Journal of Health Psychology, 26(1), 25-29.
    https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2019-31300-004

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ill people tend to feel ill.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I feel sorry for those patients having to fill out lots or irrelevant and meaningless questionnaires, and having their responses mangled to suit the theories of crackpot therapists. Leave those sick people alone! They need medical help and advice, not having their heads screwed up.

4. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought adults were supposed to grow out of " make-believe"

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kindly leave that subject alone. We've had enough controversy with it already.

oldtimer, Robert 1973 and Barry like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh yeah, that. Totally a real thing. Gotta score really high on the "fatigue acceptance" testing machine which totally tests for real fatigue acceptance psychobullshittomarkers. Everyone knows fatigue is like vampires: if you don't invite it into your body, it can't enter. Or something like that. The official SI unit is a gullible.

It's remarkable that nearly every one of Chalder's research papers shows clear evidence that sick people are actually pretty good at self-reporting their severity of illness, even long-term. Weird choice to reach the opposite conclusion but she does have a habit of showing how Wessely's "predictor" of illness severity being strength of belief is a simple reversal of cause and effect, in other words: made-up BS.

So close to getting it, somehow always looking the wrong way. Is it the rain that causes clouds? Or the clouds that cause rain? Well, have you ever seen rain without clouds? Obviously not, but you have seen clouds without rain. Can't argue with that logic.

Annamaria, Sarah94, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  7. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What even is fatigue acceptance ?

Strange that they so often talk about self reported illness beliefs but never about self reported recovery beliefs, it's like Schrodinger's questionnaire that simultaneously does and does not reflect reality.

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does their illness model reflect how they see patients?

Or does it reflect their intellectual level? The level where correlation and causation are a difficult concept to comprehend.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those poor, weak people who just can’t cope with life....pesky, irritating little things. If only they could understand they need to be more like me........ I would never respond that way to being ill. In fact, I don’t think I could ever get an illness that wouldn’t go away. I’m too self-aware and my cognitive strategies are so brilliant, I would be better in no time.

Now where’s my halo?

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This can all truly be summed as a fundamental attribution error. Describing normal reaction to abnormal circumstances as abnormal simply out of ignorance of the reality of the abnormal circumstances.

Maximum irony coming from people who definitely should be aware of and conscious of avoiding it. And yet here we are.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Mithriel, Annamaria, Sarah94 and 9 others like this.
  11. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a screwy skewed schema. (Psychology is a recent little brother of philosophy and in this case, completely irrelevant and a huge waste of tax money.)

So-called objectivity? Where? Because they use phrases? Da-da-ga-ga has more meaning.

12. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, Annamaria and MEMarge like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

“experts”

rvallee, ladycatlover, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  14. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

X is an unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ladycatlover, Barry, obeat and 3 others like this.
  15. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was "ex" is a has-been etc

ladycatlover, Annamaria and Trish like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Took me a while to get the joke here :).

ladycatlover, chrisb and Robert 1973 like this.
  17. Barry

I think so much of this kind of "research" has a hidden agenda - to find ways to reduce health costs, and to hell with the real costs to patients of their ill health. An easy win is for 'science' to so supposedly show that patients' own attitudes are the problem, and so architects of their own misfortunes. If the cheapskate 'treatment' doesn't work, it's the patient's fault.

18. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you explain the joke?

ladycatlover and rainy like this.
  19. Barry

ladycatlover and rainy like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Barry. I admit I didn't get it either. An unfortunate choice of terminology on my part!