1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychological flexibility and global health in young adults with and without a self-reported functional somatic syndrome ... 2023, Thomas et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, May 26, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full title:
    Psychological flexibility and global health in young adults with and without a self-reported functional somatic syndrome: a preliminary investigation
    Jenna L. Adamowicz Zoe Sirotiak & Emily B.K. Thomas

ABSTRACT
    Functional somatic syndromes (FSS) are associated with functional impairments and distress. FSSs are common among young adults, and psychological flexibility may be a transdiagnostic process appropriate for treatment of FSS in this population.

The objective of the current study was to compare physical and mental health in young adults with and without a self-reported FSS and examine which psychological flexibility processes are associated with better physical and mental health in the FSS subset. A total of 447 young adults participated in the current study. Individuals who reported an FSS diagnosis were coded as having a self-reported FSS.

Physical and mental health and psychological flexibility were measured via self-report. FSS and non-FSS groups were compared regarding demographic characteristics and on the primary outcomes. Hierarchical regression analyses were conducted to examine the role of the psychological flexibility processes in physical and mental health in the FSS subset.

Findings revealed that the FSS group scored significantly lower on measures of physical health and demonstrated less behavioral awareness than the non-FSS group.

No differences regarding mental health were found. All three psychological flexibility processes were associated with physical and mental health, accounting for 26–49% of the variance in these outcomes.

In conclusion, young adults with FSS experience more physical health difficulties than those without FSS. Psychological flexibility processes were related to better physical and mental health in those with FSS. These findings add to the literature and provide preliminary support for psychological flexibility as a future target for intervention development and implementation aimed at young adults with FSS.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13548506.2023.2216940?src=&journalCode=cphm20

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2023
    Sid, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychological flexibility and global health in young adults with and without a self-reported functional somatic syndrome: a preliminary investigation

Has any patient who knows what it really means ever said to a doctor "I have a self-reported functional somatic syndrome"?

It would be like a patient saying "I am hysterical" or "I suffer from conversion disorder" or "I suffer from neurasthenia" or "I'm mentally ill. Don't waste your time looking for any physical symptoms".

alktipping, Michelle, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Since it's paywalled, I don't know which conditions they included as FSS, especially since they are self reported, so they must have listed some conditions. As @Arnie Pye says, it doesn't seem likely hundreds of young adults would self report having FSS by that name.
    Can anyone enlighten us? Also which questionnaires were used to assess 'behavioural awareness' and 'psychological flexibility'.

Looks like yet another post grad student getting a doctorate on the basis of junk psych questionnaires.

Funded by the NIH.

alktipping, Michelle, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am now that I read this abstract.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2023
  5. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Participants were undergrad students who received course credits in exchange for participation.

Sean, Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  6. Sid

sounds like BS made up concept.

Sean, Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Did they control for the fact that worse physical health causes worse psychological health?

8. Sid

It's a cross-sectional study so it's not possible to establish which comes first. Ofc, they assume that addressing psychological flexibility would treat FSS.

Sean, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  9. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely not !

The Psychological Flexibility Model: A Basis for Integration and Progress in Psychological Approaches to Chronic Pain Management

"In the current review, we examine models underlying current cognitive behavioral approaches to chronic pain with respect to these criteria. A relatively new model is also presented as an option, and some of its features examined. This model is called the psychological flexibility model. This model fully integrates cognitive and behavioral principles and includes a process-oriented approach of treatment development. So far it appears capable of generating treatment applications that range widely with regard to conditions targeted and modes of delivery and that are increasingly supported by evidence."

Assessing Mindfulness and Acceptance Processes in Clients:

upload_2023-5-27_16-59-10.png

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.