1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Protest song about ME & Angel on the Water

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Robert 1973, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Politicians? They don't have minds, they are just puppets. Communicating to politicians and expecting them to serve the public is a useless pursuit. They only "look like" they are going to deliver the "goods" to the electors near the times of the elections. The system is built in such way that public really gets no real and proper services.

However, politicians do care about the mainstream culture, this gives them popularity that helps them towards the elections. But I feel nothing abut ME is unfortunately popular culture friendly -apart from comedians taking the piss out of us ME sufferers.

Sorry about this post is a total divert from the amazingly powerful song. I say no more.

2. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, that's a truly beautiful song, Robert1973. Lovely voice, lovely guitar, and very moving lyrics.

3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Robert 1973 - Thank you for sharing such a beautiful song. I miss riding my horses.

MeSci, Robert 1973, erin and 5 others like this.
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Danged onions! I miss my horses too. :broken_heart:

5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

6. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for all the kind comments. I’m not used to sharing my music – it’s only the second song I’ve written, and I hardly every play in front of anyone because of my health – so it’s good to know that I’m not wasting my time. Hopefully there will be more to come.

@MErmaid Please do post your poem. @Hutan said he was going to propose an arts section for the forum, which I think would be a great idea.

@Binkie4 and @Joh Thanks for sharing those songs. I didn’t know it has been done before. In the first instance I will post a solo version so people can hear it and decide if they want to be involved.

@Graham Thanks for the info. Have you considered the Ukulele? Good for satirical songs too.

7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Robert 1973 . Way, way back, in the late 60s I shared digs with a number of musicians, and I decided to learn one tune on each. I managed to strum along to "Ain't got a barrel of money" on the uke. So your advice is to increase the number of instruments I can't quite play? And, what's worse, you are expected to sing along to a uke, whereas blowing the ewi makes sure I'm not able to sing - a big plus in the McPhee household.

MeSci, Forestvon, Joh and 2 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Something about the idea of @Graham with a ukulele is making me feel very uneasy.

10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But what is an ewi?

MeSci, Invisible Woman and Joh like this.
  11. Graham

12. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

I think I am turning Pink, cause I am feeling a whole lotta “Trouble”....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFu3YzRnyDU

Just need the boots, cause I already own the dress. Watch me throw a few punches, and stomp my feet. Cause I AM “Trouble”.

13. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Robert 1973 sorry I missed your request for warblers, I'll have a go at a line if you still need volunteers. I do love a good sing song.

Invisible Woman, MeSci and Binkie4 like this.
  14. Robert 1973

That would be great. Please email asongforMEcfs [at] gmail [dot] com and I will sent you the audio link etc. So far I’ve got 5 volunteers, all women, but no recordings yet.

Would be great to get some men’s voices. @Graham Could you persuade any of your singers/contacts to join in?

Anna and Jonas from the ME Perspective website (https://meperspective.wixsite.com/meperspective) are providing images for the video.

15. Graham

Well, @Robert 1973 , I had a real problem getting men to sing. Sadly, Hunter, who had a beautiful voice, is no longer with us. Nick too had died but prior to our recording, so I created his voice by filtering his friend Leela's voice as a tribute to him. Dez is the only male singer left, and he is a local friend who helped me put it all together and took part to provide balance. The only way I got so many men to take part was to let them do the talking bits.

You'll notice that I didn't sing either. My voice is, shall we say, lacking a little in certain respects - namely tune, pitch, timing, character, .... I was for a while a teacher at an all-girls school, in the days when there was always a hymn to be sung in assembly and teachers were expected to give a good example. I suppose it gave heart to all the others who couldn't sing.

If you have any specific requests, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

16. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dez has a great voice! I volunteer him!
    I also volunteer myself unless all the gal slots are full :)

ETA: I dunno where Joey Tuan is these days, but he is a former a capella singer....

17. melegg

melegg New Member

18. melegg

melegg New Member

I love this song, and I would love to be involved in your new venture :)

19. Graham

Hi @Robert 1973 - have you seen that Bill Clayton, who runs the Leeds ME group, is looking for singers as well? You can see his requests on Facebook on some of the ME groups, such as the ME Chatroom.

20. Robert 1973

Update: I’ve had about 20 people volunteer to sing in the chorus. A few have had to drop out but I’m expecting to have about 15 voices before the provisional deadline in a couple of weeks times. My hope is to then get it all finished and uploaded in time for the millionsmissing protest on 12 May. Will keep you posted.

Still not too late if anyone would like to join in. Email: asongforMEcfs [at] gmail [dot] com

Meanwhile, I’ve just uploaded another new song, which is partly about my experience of living with ME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZpVknrKvJ8

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018