1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prognostic Factors for Staying at Work for Partially Sick-Listed Workers with Subjective Health Complaints: A Prospective Cohort Study, 2020, Anema et

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/19/7184/htm

My bolding.

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Subjective health complaints - interesting term.

Ultimately, aren't all health complaints subjective?

We can only experience them through our own perception and the same symptom could have different effects on different people. Difficulty walking might be more of a factor in employment for a traffic warden than an office worker, for example.

Two individuals diagnosed with the same well understood disease might have different levels of severity or be physically affected in different ways. I don't think that's terribly unusual.

Where treatments are available some patients tolerate certain treatments and others don't. Or treatment is more effective for some. The reasons aren't always understood.

Isn't calling health complaints subjective a tautology?

This demonstrates very obvious bias to me. Just because something is not yet understood or explained does not make it a psychosomatic (or should that be psychogenic?) condition.

Claiming yet to be understood conditions are subjective when all health conditions are subjective seems like a clumsy attempt diminish the severity and impact the condition has on people's lives.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think subjective health complaints is shorthand for complaints for which there is not objective test or sign the doctor can see.

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure but it's still wildly inaccurate. Lots of diseases that can be tested for and where severity can be physically assessed by tests later on in the disease can't always be seen or don't show obvious signs in the early stages.

By all means use shorthand but they could at least aim for accuracy.

No, given the nature of the document I'm not inclined to cut 'em slack.

alktipping, Andy, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

partially sick is this insurance industry speak for the ability to deny claimants their rights

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is interesting that they found that full works disability benefits was a factor that helped everyone stay in work. Does that mean that letting people go off sick just as long as they needed to instead of forcing them to work when they were sick had a good outcome?

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and Andy like this.