1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathological Mechanisms Underlying Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2019, Fisher et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Now published, see https://www.s4me.info/threads/prepr...fisher-et-al-now-published.10412/#post-190278

Preprint.

Open access at https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/201907.0196/v1

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    boolybooly, Wonko, AliceLily and 21 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fisher is that Aussie mitochondria expert, right? He seemed to really know what he was talking about.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This looks to have been written primarily by Daniel Missailidis, who I think was the impressive young researcher at the Emerge conference.
    I think it's a useful review, clearly setting out the situation of sparse and conflicting results that is ME/CFS biological research right now. There's a reasonable level of scepticism e.g. about NK cells it is written
    And about biomarker discoveries:
    The authors clearly understand key historical problems in ME/CFS research e.g.
    I'm probably more sceptical than the authors about the hypocortolism finding that's reported - it looks less solid to me. Maybe they needed to look at more studies in more detail. (although they use an odd wording of 'previously suggested' which might indicate some lack of uncertainty about its current validity)
    This seems to be the main point of the paper:
    That is, despite the probably heterogeneous cohorts used in past research, there seems to be evidence of things that are wrong with the biochemistry of people with ME/CFS. But finding these things that are wrong might not be enough to unravel the cause, as there are all sorts of complicated feedback loops and interactions.

So Daniel and the Fisher team seem to be suggesting that experimental models are required. I'm not sure what they have in mind, but more power to them. I hope they manage to get a good share of the Australian funding for ME/CFS.

Annamaria, Wonko, AliceLily and 21 others like this.
  4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Animal model? Artificial Intelligence?

Moderator note: Posts discussing animal models have been moved to this thread:
    Animal studies: why are we not doing them?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2019
    ladycatlover likes this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When we are cold we can't heat up and when we re hot we can't cool down. I wonder if the same thing happens with lots of our body systems.

If it does, the amount of any particular chemical will be different in everyone so nothing significant will be found. So it is not a homeostatic shift so much as a slowing of the homeostatic process.

Annamaria, alktipping, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Saw this write up on Paul Fisher on Health Rising

Emerging Insights #II: “The Cellular Equivalent of Chronic Fatigue” Found in ME/CFS
    https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2019/07/18/cellular-equivalent-chronic-fatigue-mitochondria-found/

The "model" he used here was a sample of a patients lymphocytes that he grew in culture, and continued to grow. That way he could perform experiment after experiment on the same set of lympocytes and so remove a big variable.

The write up also made me wonder if Karl Morten and Paul Fischer are in touch. Sure would be good if the two could build a relationship to bounce ideas off. Both are very senior mitochondrial experts who want to help us.

Annamaria, AliceLily, Simone and 14 others like this.
  7. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mod note: The part of this post discussing animal studies has been moved to the other thread.

Yes, cell cultures are being used in isolation, as opposed to understanding the multi-systemic ramifications of our pathology(ies). I am not sure we can understand brain inflammation, hormonal disruptions and gut issues by only studying one type of lymphocytes of the peripheral blood in a cross-sectional setting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2019
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The published version of this paper is now available:
    Pathological Mechanisms Underlying Myalgic Encephalomyelitis /Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Daniel Missailidis,Sarah J. Annesley and Paul R. Fisher
    Sorry I don't have the energy to check if it's the same as the preprint.

Hutan, Kitty, Annamaria and 5 others like this.