1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Chronic Pain Conditions in Men: A Twin Study, 2020, Gasperi et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Dec 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/psychosoma...c_Stress_Disorder_and_Chronic_Pain.98475.aspx
    Sci hub, no access

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The very obvious explanation is that chronic pain is routinely misrepresented and misdiagnosed as trauma. None of this is surprising given the way people carelessly throw these things around. Roughly the same reason people find "depression" in chronic illness.

It's a creative take on turtles all the way down, building failure on top of failure because of other failures. It's failure all the way down.

Hutan, Lidia, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The abstract didn't say whether the men with PTSD had (combat) injuries that would explain chronic pain. Also, veterans with PTSD have a much higher rate of "accidents" (motor vehicle) than the base male population, as I remember, they have more suicides.

Would have to read the whole report.

Fibromyalgia encompasses many illnesses listed such as: chronic pain, chronic fatigue, IBS, migraine, headache, TMJ, chronic pelvic pain. These all fall under the fibromyalgia umbrella, despite each being given an ICD code in the medical record, assuming this study was retrospective.

I do wonder at what their definition of CFS was, and when that diagnosis was made. Post Vietnam era studies could have ended before the Canadian consensus and IOM definitions.

Were veterans with PTSD more likely to have frequent doctor appointments, and therefore have more diagnoses on their records? In a country that until recently had a huge population of the uninsured, the VA (Veteran's Administration) was probably the main and a frequent source of healthcare for veterans.

Though twin studies always interest me, if you throw a lot of misleading data into the computer program, it's still garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4,680 male twins that's a lot. If they looked for ME/CFS with a proper clinical examination this study could hold interesting information (I fear that they simply asked for chronic fatigue with some questionnaire).

Hutan, Snowdrop, Snow Leopard and 8 others like this.
  5. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it is the same person, one of the co-authors Dedra Buchwald, is mentioned quite a lot in Osler's Web.
    Visited Incline Village early on with Komaroff, and seems to have had an interest in looking at prevalence rates in health care settings.

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

Does anyone have access to this paper?

7. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately, that's exactly what they did:

Hutan, ME/CFS Skeptic, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The early CFS people, like her, did not know about, or did not consider, energy problems or any of the earlier work on ME.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  9. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks!

Looks like CFS was not included in the modelling:

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2022-11-8_17-42-43.png

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds more like chronic illnesses and their consequences are commonly labeled as PTSD. Which is consistent with how things like MUS are operationalized. It's a common practice, so it would lead to massive over-labeling like this. We find the exact same thing with depression, anxiety and various "mental health" labels.

All this tells us is about the practice of labeling things as PTSD or stress, doesn't tell us anything about the patients themselves. It used to be a thing to label diseases as demonic or the work of evil spirits, all any such study would have told us is about the act of labeling, an action taken by whoever records the label. If you look at historical causes of death, there is so much nonsense in there, this is a long-standing practice.

We see quite a lot of pwLC "diagnosed" as having PTSD or something equivalent, so this is consistent with a known practice that does that for no good reasons

And in most cases, it's not quite accurate, but the constant denigration and disrespect of living with such a condition can lead to something that can be labeled as PTSD, if one wants to. But all this tells us is what the person doing the labeling is thinking, it has basically nothing to do with the patient. In this case it places the blame on the person being failed, a labeling that removes any and all obligations on the physician in those cases. That's the process of de-medicalization.

Hutan, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Finding a correlation between PTSD and chronic illness is not surprising. The ACEs study found that childhood trauma raises your risk of many illnesses, including those nobody believes are psuchosomatic, and can take decades off your life. A likely mechanism is that trauma makes it difficult to take care of yourself. Researching a correlation between ME and trauma is this unlikely to be informative.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  14. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't disagree that trauma has a health impact
    ACEs methodology is far from robust and frequently misapplied ( it's getting used as a predictor in some places)

James Coyne did a decent blog post on some of the issues .
    There's a link on this thread
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/aces-and-research.9016/