1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Positive Health Statement" - Job Centre Plus

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Barry, Oct 5, 2019.

1. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precisely, I was very lucky that at my ESA assessment last year I had a nurse who immediately told me she knew about M.E. and didn't need to laboriously verify what I had written on my form. She also told me that I should have been granted the home visit I asked for and was refused. This was a very different experience to previous assessments and unfortunately felt like the exception rather than the rule.

ETA: I did get put into the Support group thankfully.

Anna H, Barry, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I put it in my notes on my caree's most recent two ESA applications, and she got Support Group. I suppose it might be debatable whether the two are linked, though.

3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you see the actual medical/assessment report that shows how the points were awarded? DId she get put in the Support Group because of limited mobility or because the DM applied the special 'severe risk' exception rule?

Edit: I would still encourage PWME filling out their ESA50/UC50 to state that their health would be put at severe risk if asked to engage in work or work-related activities. My comments are based on what I have read in the DWP assessor's manual, where they 'instruct' HCPs on how to make their decisions in the face to face and how they should write and phrase their comments/recommendations in the computer generated report. There would be a significant difference in the weight a HCP would give to the claimant making this statement and a qualified medical doctor giving their opinion on adverse risks.

I can only make judgments based on 'balance of probablility' - there will always be exceptions, an exceptionally understanding HCP who prehaps has personal knowledge of how severely ME (or CFS) can affect an individual etc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  4. Wits_End

I don't think we saw the report, just got the letter, went "thank goodness" and forgot all about it. Wish I could do the same with the PIP application :(

alktipping, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  5. Simbindi

It might be worth you getting it and seeing how the scoring compares with the PIP medical report.

alktipping and ladycatlover like this.
  6. Wits_End

I don't think they're comparable, are they? Anyway, the tribunal has asked for the paperwork for her ESA application from the DWP, so presumably they'll be able to compare.

7. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Question just asked in Parliament as a Point of Order about the positive health statement stuff. Deputy Speaker said it wasn't a Point of Order, but encouraged the MP (Marsha de Cordova) to bring it up once the Proroguation of Parliament is over, after The Queen's Speach next Monday (I think).

Anna H, ukxmrv, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anna H, Sly Saint, Sean and 11 others like this.
  9. Simbindi

If it was me, I would want to know how they had assessed me in each ESA statement. I would also want to know the details of what the tribunal was looking at. This is highly relevant to the mobility element of the PIP award.

I was turned down when I applied for DLA (without even seeing a doctor or health professional) because of my ESA medical (this was back in 2010). I didn't have the energy to appeal it. In my ESA report the assessor had said I could mobilise up to 100 metres, although she had only written she had 'seen the claimant walk 11 metres'. But it is up to you how you approach the PIP tribunal.

ladycatlover, alktipping and Trish like this.
  10. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Simbindi

So the advice started within the local NHS 'pain service' and then was taken onboard by the local Job Centre, rather than being a national DWP initiative. This just shows how divorced from reality the NHS is becoming with regards to how severely these medical conditions (depression, chronic pain, ME, MS etc.) affect the sufferer. It also highlights how 'work-focused' (BPS orientated) the UK health services are becoming, instead of being the neutral place where patients go for appropriate medical support, advice and treatment.

ladycatlover, Anna H, rainy and 16 others like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I think it reflects a strong prejudice that likely exists within Job Centres.

ladycatlover, ukxmrv, rainy and 5 others like this.
  13. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

lower down on the guardian page is another horrendous article stating m e in the Netherlands is to be treated with online therapy what does it take for this bs to stp

ladycatlover, rvallee and Annamaria like this.
  14. Simbindi

I think that must be the 'FITNET' trial, discussed on various threads on the forum.

It may be that some of the children who 'recovered' have idiopathic fatigue, certainly not ME or CFS with PEM.

15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No long term recovery in FITNET, same as SMC longterm . No doubt, as here, PVFS cohort who recover within 2 years.

My son had PVFS and was floored and missed 18 months school. He did not have PEM. Tired - yes. De conditioned- yes. Excruciating headaches - yes.
    PEM - no.

16. Simbindi

I had what was probably PVFS after getting glandular fever when I was in lower sixth (age 16-17) back in 1982/3, and this continued for a couple of years wrecking my 'A' level studies, even with an additional year of college. That is why I could tell how different it was after I got the severe upper respiratory infection when my youngest was a baby in 1992. I did manage to struggle on for a few months whilst breast feeding her. I thought I would get better once I stopped this, but the opposite happened and I became bedbound.

My late mother said she felt I was 'never right' after glandular fever, and it was true that I was generally more fatigued then peers, with headaches, swollen glands, regular tonsilitis etc. However, it was nothing like the ME with PEM that started in 1992. That felt like the worst days of the active infection stage of glandular fever, just without the fever (like I was being poisoned and my blood had turned to quick setting concrete). Since then I have never gone more than a couple of days of activity without the PEM making me bedbound for at least a day. I have had months and sometimes years of severe ME, which seems to me feeling in a permanent state of PEM. Recovering from glandular fever was nothing like this.

17. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2019
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From what I have read, this document was only used in one area and following protests has been withdrawn.

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ideology that lead to it, however, is pretty much in complete control. The document may have been withdrawn but the people who think it's great are still there, believing the same BS and trying to find ways to have the same outcome without being so blatant about it.

We certainly know all about that. No better example than how much more blatantly nonsensical the internal documents on ME within the NHS are. The failure here was letting the quiet part be heard out loud.

rainy, Sarah94 and Wonko like this.