1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Placebo effect: a psychosomatic component, or only an aggregate of other biases?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by cassava7, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! We are definitely thinking along the same lines. I have also ruminated around those ideas, and it makes sense to me. How you’d test those ideas might prove more complex. :)

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a risk of evolutionary arguments becoming circular: crudely put evolution is the survival of the fittest, but the only measure of what is the fittest is what survives. Some have even gone on to say that Darwinian theories of evolution are not truly scientific because of this.

So such speculation about the evolution of illness behaviours and societal response to long term conditions, albeit very interesting, may struggle to get beyond descriptions of varying degrees of accuracy unless one can get to the point of being able to make testable predictions.

Inara, Sarah94, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The main, and possibly only, genuine benefit of 'optimism' is that it is more socially acceptable and hence rewarded – it attracts more resources and protection.

Sid, Ravn, rainy and 4 others like this.
  4. Keela Too

Indeed. However the evolutionary idea does give one possible explanation to the awkward detail that subjective surveys often produce positive results not matched by objective measurements.

Accepting subjective answers at face value, without any consideration of how they may be skewed by other influences, is a much worse error in my view. Especially when objective measures suggest a very real bias towards optimistic self reporting.

The reason for the discrepancy may not be evolutionary, it may be a more recent cultural phenomenon, or simply a bias introduced in the way the questions are asked, but all of these are worthy of discussion, because they affect our choices about what we should be measuring.

In my view, objective measures are key, and subjective ones can only be a useful proxy if (and only if) they have been demonstrated to effectively match a relevant objective outcome.

So yeah, I agree we cannot easily confirm why subjective outcomes tend towards the optimistic, but we can discuss the many possible reasons. By doing so we remind ourselves, and others, that what people say is very subjective, and rarely a truly accurate picture.

Of course what we say might be swayed to the negative depending on our mood (or circumstance) but apparently this is less likely, and the most frequent bias seen is towards overly optimistic reporting.

So why is that? Perhaps it doesn’t matter why, only that we acknowledge that it does.

5. Keela Too

Yes! Optimism in illness definitely is more socially acceptable, and more likely to be rewarded.

lycaena, Ravn, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if showing a relationship between 'agreeableness' and subjective improvements from placebo (or treatments that are essentially placebos) might help? Agreeableness is one of the Big 5 personality traits. So, there are tools to measure it. If it could be shown that more agreeable people were more likely to report an improvement, then I think that would suggest that the improvement is at least partly the result of people being obliging and polite.

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 11.35.22 PM.png

Sid, rainy, Snow Leopard and 6 others like this.
  7. Hutan

ha!

Agreeable? You’re More Likely to Benefit From Placebo
    Your personality affects your likelihood to experience placebo effects.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/.../agreeable-you-re-more-likely-benefit-placebo

Whereas I'd say the people scoring high on the agreeable test are more likely to be polite about the benefit from a treatment, the writer of this article, and the authors of the study it refers to, think that agreeable people actually release more endorphins when they are told they have been treated.

It's always possible to put a BPS spin on things...

Sid, rainy, Snow Leopard and 8 others like this.
  8. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They won't be able to pull the wool over the medical profession's eyes forever, they'll be outed as the quacks they are.

In no other field have pseudoscientists flourished as prominently as in the field psychology. Oh Ben Goldacre your silence is deafening.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  9. Sean

IOW, people who are more compliant, less confrontational and disruptive. Less 'difficult'.

Problem is that real change for the better is rarely done by such people. It is done by those who don't like what they see around them, and do something about it, including demanding that those in power do something about it.

IOW, they are intentionally disagreeable, but for very good reasons.

The capacity and preparedness to be disagreeable, confrontational, and disruptive is one of humanity's most important traits. No progress would have been achieved without it.

Never tolerate incompetence, corruption, or cruelty. Just don't expect to be thanked for it.

Sid, rainy, Inara and 5 others like this.
  10. Hutan

And of course, I should have said: This whole construct of agreeable people and disagreeable people is a nonsense. Because you can't properly categorise people on the basis of a handful of questions that can be interpreted in different ways that are answered at one point of time.

And, very often, prosocial, cooperative, altruistic behaviour is standing up for what is right.

rainy, Helene, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  11. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. I learned recently, that in the famous Milgram Experiment, people who score highly for "agreeableness" are more likely to agree to inflict pain upon other people!

rainy, Hutan, Keela Too and 2 others like this.
  12. Sean

Context matters. :thumbsup:

Hutan, Keela Too and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Keela Too

And, as another community I am part of recently discovered, one of the most agreeable & likeable individuals can hide behind a highly agreeable front, to harbour some very dark disagreeable traits. (Revealed only after the court outcome. :( )

Edited to add the quote I was responding to. :)

Helene, Barry, Sean and 3 others like this.
  14. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The milgram experiment was another failure of psychology. The results are not to be taken seriously. Like so many, good newspaper headlines, bad science.

rainy, Sarah, Helene and 5 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure you can! You can even make a good living out of coaching people with it. Of course you can't do that ethically in the context of medicine but that's where statutory authority cleans up any loose ends. Don't you want a life of love, not fear?

See, life is just that simple if you reduce it to simple things. It's not really "life" anymore, sure, but it sure is simple.

[​IMG]

Simbindi, Sean, Helene and 2 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that subjective biases are heavily influenced by mood, and therefore can be manipulated by managing people's moods.

If somebody were to tell me day in day out how rubbish I looked and how bad things looked for me, then I will feel rubbish, and any questionnaire I fill in will reflect that. By contrast if I'm told day in day out how fantastic I'm doing and how promising things look for me, then I will no doubt answer much more optimistically.

If you wanted to deliberately skew findings then you would likely do nothing to foster optimism at baseline measurements (maybe even foster pessimism), and then of course, as we know, do everything to boost people's morale as part of the 'treatment'.

lycaena, Simbindi, Sean and 2 others like this.
  17. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how adrenaline fits in. Or is this encompassed in mood?

I find adrenaline can completely change my perception of how ill I am. Earlier in my illness I felt fine in stressful situations, such as bringing a child to the hospital after a fall for stitches, to the extend I wondered if I really was ill.

Sid, rainy, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  18. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps related: https://neo.life/2021/10/the-promise-of-pills-that-do-nothing/

I can't quite believe that this is a real thing.

19. Sean

Nobody can say they lied about what was in the bottle.

Woolie, Wyva and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be good if they researched this to see if it is adrenalin or what causes this. It is a very real effect in ME and I have wondered if the adrenalin helps release more ATP into the system to make more available. Julia Newton did experiments on isolated muscle cells and when they were stressed some of them converted ADP to AMP to release energy but this is not a reversible reaction like ATP to ADP so the cells were worse off in the end.

Of course, this sudden normalness, for want of a better word, is a superficial change with the underlying illness still there and a crash likely, definitely not proof that it is our attitude that is making us ill!

rainy, Helene, Simbindi and 2 others like this.