Physios for ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by NelliePledge, Jun 28, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes I have a type of physical therapy called Bowen which is very gentle and I find it helpful. No objection to physical therapy whatsoever as long as it isn’t something that makes me worse.

ETA although of course as I have mild/ moderate ME I can tolerate a lot more than many with ME

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Louie41, MEMarge, dangermouse and 6 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you

3. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome @PhysiosforME :)

Can anyone tell me whether a physio (physiotherapist) is the same thing as a physical therapist? Or is there some sort of training / licensing difference?

This Wikipedia article seems to say they are the same but I wanted to make sure that was correct.

I see the term physio online a lot but I have never heard that term in person. I'm in the USA. Thanks!

8. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s just a difference in terminology, as far as I am aware it’s the same thing.

9. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome and thank you Physios for ME. I've sent you private message.

MSEsperanza, Hutan, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  10. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A warm welcome @PhysiosforME

Wow, I’m so looking forward to watching your progress on your very worthwhile venture - thank you.

I will send an email about my experiences.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    MSEsperanza, Hutan, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  11. PhysiosforME

Thank you - we have had so much support, it is really much appreciated and reinforces why we decided to do this.

12. PhysiosforME

Physiotherapist is the UK term and physical therapist the American term I believe.
    All four of us in Physios for ME are Chartered Physiotherapists in the UK

13. Amw66

Is this England and Wales only or UK wide?

14. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think one of them is from N Ireland, I suspect Scottish physios would be welcome too.

15. Amw66

Joan McParlland had queried re twitter and was told it was not pertaining to NI, hence query.

PhysiosforME, MEMarge and Andy like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

But, but, I thought we were just lazy layabouts who weren't prepared to put in the effort to get better?!?!?!? ;)

(To be clear, not aiming that at @PhysiosforME , but at the general perception.)

17. PhysiosforME

Hi there - we are keen to spread the word and work with any physios who are keen to look at what physiotherapy can offer for ME (with a biomedical approach obviously!)

The four of us are in England but more than happy to link up with physios elsewhere in the UK. I think the response to the NI query was that we don't have any contacts over there so please do point people our way.

We're also happy to link up with colleagues in other countries as well - they may well have lots they can bring to the discussions to help inform our work

18. PhysiosforME

;)

19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@PhysiosforME absolutely brilliant that you're doing this & a very warm welcome to S4ME.

I hope in time you might be able to put together some info for other interested physios to look at? - not necessarily treatment guidelines or anything if you didnt feel comfortable with that, but just general principles & dispelling some myths about ME & red flagging what isnt a good idea for this population as opposed to other regularly dealt with illness populations.

I'd love to get some physio for my hip but i'm too scared of the ignorance that will come along with it.... I know it's a problem caused by lack of mobility - but i just cant bear the thought of what will ensue when they tell me i need to walk more & i tell them i'd bl**dy love to but i cant!

20. PhysiosforME

@JemPD we definitely have education on our list of things to do for both students and qualified physios - I like the idea of some information along the lines you mention so will share this with the others

Interestingly some of the replies we have had do involve positive experiences of physio, particularly for a musculoskeltal problem such as the one you describe.
    It is this understandable mistrust of/negativity towards our profession that speaks volumes to how this patient group has been treated, and is one reason we have formed as a group. Hopefully we will be able to make a change in this.