1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Physicians with long Covid confront a medical establishment eager to classify their illness as psychological (2022) Tuller

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Cheshire, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

New article by @dave30th
    https://www.codastory.com/waronscience/long-covid/

Hutan, ahimsa, rainy and 31 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Unfortunately, most clinicians are not House. When routine examinations fail to yield results, physicians often conclude that patients are “somatizing”— expressing psychological distress in the form of physical sensations. Patients who reject this psychosomatic view can be dogged about seeking further medical consultations and tests despite having been advised repeatedly that nothing amiss has been found. "

The problem with this reference, if I recall correctly, is that one of the first episodes of House has him being dismissive of a patient with CFS. Other than that, great writing as normal from David.

bobbler, Hutan, TigerLilea and 19 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:):)

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ha! I had no idea!!! What did he think it was? Did he come around in the end?

5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not quite. There's a summary here:
    https://house.fandom.com/wiki/Tired_Man

ETA: To be fair, when clicking on the link to "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" it says:

On the series, Molnar thinks he might have CFS, but House effectively treats the condition with candy mints. Thus proving that Molnar never suffered from CFS to begin with, seeing as this is not a disease that can be cured by placebo.

https://house.fandom.com/wiki/Chronic_fatigue_syndrome

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    bobbler, Hutan, rainy and 8 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’ve not seen it but some info here https://me-pedia.org/wiki/House

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember it. First episode, gave the patient tic tacs from a vending machine while being extra condescending, even by House's standards of misanthropy.

bobbler, TigerLilea, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's a great article, thank you @dave30th. A very good one for sharing on social media and with clinicians, family and friends.

Barry, TigerLilea, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes i remember that House episode.... I only came to House in season 2 (there was no streaming/catch-up back then). And so it was only later when i was a fan, that i came across the CFS episode. I was gutted & watched no further series in protest.

I'm amazed but grateful that Greys hasnt done something on it.

Great article as always though @dave30th

Hutan, boolybooly, TigerLilea and 6 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent article. Thank you @dave30th. Appreciated you shining the spotlight on the damage done by Devine and Gaffney.

TigerLilea, sebaaa, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  11. dave30th

Thanks!

MeSci, shak8, SNT Gatchaman and 4 others like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done, @dave30th - excellent article.

oldtimer, TigerLilea, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  13. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Following the Guardian piece on gaslighting Long Covid sufferers, Gaffney penned an insolent little Twitter missive reminiscent of the typical BPS standard bearers. I’m curious as to whether he will respond to this composition.

Either way, well done @dave30th! Let’s hope that physicians harangued by these conditions will feel more comfortable publicizing their struggles. That could prove crucial in gaining recognition.

MEMarge, oldtimer, TigerLilea and 9 others like this.
  14. dave30th

Dr Gaffney wrote me back on twitter a couple of weeks ago, a couple of weeks after I'd messaged and e-mailed him. He asked if I was still working on it if he wanted to comment. I said yes. But I didn't hear back after that. Do you have the link to his tweets about the guardian article?

15. Charles B.

6BED3F79-403F-41B3-8F87-E120938916F7.png

MEMarge, sebaaa, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Excellent article. :thumbup:

One tiny suggestion:

Last fall, Britain’s...

If you are writing for a wider global audience then references to seasons are misleading. Seasons are inverted between the northern and southern hemispheres, and the latitude also factors in (speaking as somebody who lives near the equator, where the concepts of fall and spring, indeed the whole four seasons thing, don't really apply).

Just cite the date, in this case the month and year is sufficient.

Barry, Snow Leopard, Anna H and 2 others like this.
  17. dave30th

good suggestion, thanks

Barry, MeSci, Missense and 2 others like this.
  18. Charles B.

We should preemptively pen the BPS missives before they materialize, as I imagine we could almost mirror them verbatim.

These pseudo-philosophical tirades about the folly of separating brain and mind have nothing to do with the BPS approach to post-infectious disease. And to call this reductive when the alternative is false illness beliefs/deconditioning is maddening. It’s the most myopic, simplistic, and banal explanation for our disability fathomable.

I could speculate about Gaffney’s motivations for entering this domain of debate, but irrespective of that, these hackneyed straw men arguments are so predictable and intellectually lazy. I don’t have much of a Twitter presence, but I hope someone with a more robust platform will dissect his response, because it deserves a logical lashing. E7EEB524-634F-4623-BE33-E30F9E64BE34.png E7EEB524-634F-4623-BE33-E30F9E64BE34.png

Barry, Sean and Trish like this.
  19. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't pyschosocial factors play a role in pretty much all illnesses and pretty much all of interactive living?

How is this vague statement in any way concretely useful?

Of course for those who make such lame statements it's because they wish it to mean 'take your CBT/GET medicine and stop whining about the bio part.'

Again, using the phrase 'psychosocial factors' is a code for them but in reality (where the rest of live) it is a vague hand-wavy thing to say and can rightfully be applied quite broadly.

ETA: word for clarity

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    bobbler, cfsandmore, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This. Simply this.
    The elephant in the room

cfsandmore, MEMarge, Mithriel and 4 others like this.