People 'more likely to feel pain on humid days' (BBC article)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MeSci, Oct 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50151723

People with long-term health problems such as arthritis are more likely to feel pain on humid days, a study has suggested.

Folklore suggests the cold makes pain worse - but there is actually little research into the weather's effects.

And this University of Manchester study of 2,500 people, which collected data via smartphones, found symptoms were actually worse on warmer, damper days.

Researchers hope the findings will steer future research into why that is.

(<...>)

In this research, called Cloudy with a Chance of Pain, scientists recruited 2,500 people with arthritis, fibromyalgia, migraine and neuropathic pain from across the UK.

(<...>)

Prof Will Dixon, of the Centre for Epidemiology Versus Arthritis, at the University of Manchester, who led the study said: "Weather has been thought to affect symptoms in patients with arthritis since [ancient Greek physician] Hippocrates.

rvallee, MEMarge, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took part in this study, and I definitely find the weather influences my pain. I haven't read the full report yet, but I'm not surprised they found some level of influence at least.

MyalgicE, MeSci, Nellie and 6 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely a weather effect . Low pressure is biggest issue - as this is a harbinger of higher humidity it makes sense.

MeSci, MEMarge and Starlight like this.