1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

PEM: a continued stress response / failure to enter a rest-recovery phase?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Hoopoe, Jul 8, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The other day I learned that exercise is a strong trigger of the release of various hormones and signalling factors that we might label as stress signals.

Some of the after effects of exercise that I experience feel exactly like my body continues to be stressed for hours afterwards, or even becomes increasingly stressed as time passes. This is visible in heart rate measurements as well. I'm pretty sure this is not how it should be: after exercise we should be able to relax and recover. But my body seems to have difficuly entering that state. Therefore one could say that exercise appears to trigger an abnormally long stress response with a failure to enter the appropriate rest-recovery phase. And PEM after a night of unrefreshing seems to be the typical result of this.

Now I wonder if this is reflected in blood levels of these stress signals remaining high. What kind of problem could prevent the switch to a rest-recovery phase? The proposed dynamic ("difficulty switching off after activation") seems to have some similarity to how ion channel dysfunction might manifest. Is there any evidence in ME/CFS of these stress signals remaining high, and/or of ion channel dysfunction affecting the hypothalamus/endocrine glands?

An alternative interpretation could be that the stress response continues because there's a continued emergency of some sort, perhaps some kind of hypoxia related damage to some tissues, or immune cells being irritated by exertion and doing some damage.

Or that there is a metabolic failure to enter that rest-recover phase and so the repair and cleanup that should begin does not happen and the stress response continues.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    Amw66, EzzieD, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  2. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@rvallee posted the following thread:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/high-...tomated-collection-2023-lightman-et-al.33799/

Which has some interesting methodology for measuring cortisol EDIT: adrenal hormones more continually, noting also that it is pulsatory

This might have the added benefit, if a good technique/method were to be deveoped of being able to look at options for samples to be taken at appropriate times without what would be for pwme the catch of causing exertion to take them too ie given both PEM and exertion might change things.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    alktipping likes this.
  3. Hoopoe

It's not just cortisol

Box 1. Major stress-related hormones typically affected substantially by an acute exercise session
    • Adrenocorticotropic hormone
    • Atrial natriuretic peptide
    • Arginine vasopressin
    • β-endorphin
    • Brain natriuretic peptide
    • Corticotropin-releasing hormone
    • Cortisol
    • Cytokines
    • Dynorphins
    • Enkephalins
    • Epinephrine
    • Growth hormone
    • Norepinephrine
    • Prolactin
    • Renin–angiotensin–aldosterone
    • Testosterone
    Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953272/

(and maybe the problem is not enough stress hormones in response to stressors)

EzzieD, MeSci, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me, sleeping well or not doesn't make any difference, I will always experience the same level of PEM.

alktipping likes this.
  5. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry if I didn't make clear - I was making the point about the method of taking samples (whatever they are looking at/measuring) being developed so that it can be done without requiring trips and waking up etc is something that could be very important indeed. Particularly noting how and when PEM strikes - and its being measured through the night-time as well as day etc. so we could see the full cycle.

SNT Gatchaman and alktipping like this.
  6. Hoopoe

One of the reasons for graded exercise therapy was this idea of a strong stress response to exercise, and the assumption that regular exercise would dampen the response (as has been shown in healthy people).

This again raises the question of whether this stress response was assumed to exist in patients based on what they described, or if it had been measured in studies.

It also seems that exercise in ME/CFS leads to further sensitization rather than the expected desensitization, or at least no meaningful desensitization in the long term.

Are patients feeling the stress response to exercise or is it something else that might be confused for it?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    EzzieD, Hutan, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sleep length and quality didn't affect my ME symptoms either, including PEM.

alktipping likes this.
  8. Mij

The only stressors that negatively affect my PEM are viral reactivations.

9. Mij

You wrote several times that exercise doesn't affect your PEM either.

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think some post exercise hormone responses were investigated by Light and Light (Alan and Kathleen I think) some years back. Some of them are very high even on a logarithmic scale. I do not think this has been properly followed up on but I could be wrong.

Amw66, Sean, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  11. Creekside

My experiences with PEM seemed to point to a chemokine from muscle cell damage, with IFN-g matching the consistent 24 hr delay. I doubt that washing one window or climbing a few steps up a ladder triggers major body stress chemical release, while a 20 km bike ride wouldn't.

Not for me. My exercise tolerance built up normally. The first long bike ride of spring might have triggered PEM, but the without-triggering-PEM distance increased as my muscles got used to it. I expect the same would have held true for window-washing if I did that every day.

Yes, I don't think my fitness level changed the severity of my PEM symptoms. I can't offhand think of any factors that did affect the severity, aside from the triggers. Maybe some food/nutrient factors did, but I don't recall noticing a specific correlation.

Given the advances in disposable micro-flow devices, where a drop of blood goes through various microchannels for various measurements, this should be practical and not overly expensive.

12. Mij

Over the years I've come across pts that explained how their PEM negatively affects their cognitive function and not so much their physical abilities.

PEM affects both my physical and cognitive function.

I can sleep 10 hrs and it won't make any difference. In fact I could lie down for 20 years w/o moving and I would still get PEM if go over my energy limit.

I could die and still experience PEM lol

sebaaa, alktipping and Starlight like this.
  13. alex3619

Finally, proof zombies are real. They are all people death pemed. :)

Amw66, alktipping, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  14. Creekside

PEM has put me in a zombie-like state at times.

alktipping and alex3619 like this.
  15. alex3619

Many of us describe it that way, hence my jest.

Amw66, alktipping and mango like this.