1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Patients with Persistent Polyclonal B-Cell Lymphocytosis Share the Symptomatic Criteria of Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease, 2021, Morizot et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My mental arithmetic suggests that about 35% of men with RA wouldn't have had it if they hadn't smoked and about 16% of women with RA. So in women the great majority got RA for other reasons. Since about three quarters people withRA are women the overall figure may be about 20%. That is presumably why it was not obvious to us in the 1980s that smoking might be a causal factor.

As far as I know there are no other significant external causal factors. The rest of the causation comes from immune genetics (HLA-DR and PNP22), having two XX chromosomes and a major random element probably due to the random nature of individual antibody generation. The random mechanism for antibody diversity is now known to make use of the same enzyme that is responsible for at least some random mutations that cause lymphomas. At various levels the immune system plays a sort of Russian roulette.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    MEMarge, Simbindi, Milo and 8 others like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How very interesting @Jonathan Edwards I do so enjoy reading your posts i learn so much. And then i pass it on :) Thank you

Just out of interest... does anyone know if any association has been found between smoking & ME/CFS -either during onset or previous?

MEMarge, Michelle, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not that I am aware of.