1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome do not score higher on the autism‐spectrum quotient than healthy controls, 2018, Bileviciute‐Ljungar et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, May 12, 2018.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

@Samuel, I'm sure that book would be interesting to many people here. The comments on it suggest that lots of people found it helpful. Maybe you could post it in its own thread in the Lifestyle Management subforum as well?

andypants, JaimeS and Samuel like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:You gave me my first really good laugh of the day, @Wonko! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeowch.

Sounds very interesting, actually.

Samuel, Wonko and Hutan like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Lovely example, of not letting the facts get in the way of a good story. The results of this study didn't even find a reliable difference in Toronto Alexithymia Scale scores between CFS pts and healthy controls.

Which is pretty surprising, actually, since the questionnare is loaded to generate higher scores in ill people:
    " I have physical sensations that even Doctors don’t understand."
    " I am often puzzled by sensations in my body"

Honestly, do these kinds of researchers have any interest in actual science at all? That is, actually collecting data to learn new things, things they don't already know? Or are they only interested in data when it can be used to support their preconceived beliefs?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Mij, Philipp, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is basically no evidence for that hypothesis. There is no evidence for a genuine ME-ASD connection in the published literature.

Simbindi, mango, ScottTriGuy and 6 others like this.